Second Skin Audio

home depot birch wood

moredbs

I'm ready to start building my box, and if I'm not mistaking the birch wood sold at home depot isn't the heavier ply of birch that people use in there builds. but is it still better than just standard 3/4 mdf ? as far as toughness against moisture . my last build i used 3/4 mdf to seal of my enclosure in the back of my truck bed and rhino lined it with three coats and there was a small leak and over time it warped and is falling apart.im currently working on stopping the leak in the bed was just wanting to know if the cheaper birch wood would hold up better just in case i have a small leak.

home depot A/C birch plywood or whatever it is, is better than their mdf, atleast IMO it is. Fuck mdf.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

If its not treated wood then no matter what type it is it will be effected by moisture. One way to solve this is do a coat of fiberglass resin over the entire box before you do the bed liner and your problem should be solved. Then it wouldnt matter what type of wood you used bc the resin would make it water tight.

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

I just built my new box out of the purebond from HD and it was great to work with. Didn't even splinter with my dull table saw blade..

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

I would use the mdf over the Home Depot birch. You need to find a good quality 13 ply Baltic birch if you plan on using birch. As far as being weather proof, no matter what wood you use it will become damaged from rain. One thing you can do to protect MDF from water is resin it with fiberglass resin.

Also HD doesn't sell 3/4 birch for a heads up

The spot with least resistance LOL.

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

how many poeple work there 3 or 4 lol

At crescendo HQ? probably 2-3

At the sweatshop in china? 30,000 children

No Engine

Yeah I agree with this guy^^^ My box is made entirely of the home depot birch wood and I daily my car and have had the box for over 2 years with the setup in sig. We used zero screws in my box except for the bracing, the entire thing is just held together with gorilla glue and caulked on the inside. No air leaks what soever and the box is solid as a rock. I have a double baffle up top as well. The stuff is so light I lifted the entire box out by myself to paint it yesterday. (without the subs of course) If that had've been MDF it would've probably taken 2-3 other dudes to lift that bitch out..

THE ANTHRACITE DYC CRUISER

-Fully dipped anthracite grey pt cruiser

-4 skar vvx 12's (version 1)

-Mechman 240 amp alt -Big three in Cadence 1/0

-1 deka intimidator g31 blacktop under the hood

-1 C&D 140ah Batt & 1 C&D 55ah batt in the rear

-Re audio/soundstream mids and highs

-Hifonics Zues 600.4

-DC Audio 3.5k

If its not treated wood then no matter what type it is it will be effected by moisture. One way to solve this is do a coat of fiberglass resin over the entire box before you do the bed liner and your problem should be solved. Then it wouldnt matter what type of wood you used bc the resin would make it water tight.

ok i was gonna buy some smd sun flash to coat the inside and outside of the box does that mean i don't have to use the actual fiberglass and body filler ect... to help make it water proof?

Archived