Sundown Audio

Underpowering a sub?

Foamyy Thee Squirrell

I'm sure you could sell the 4gauge on craigslist or if your in fb then there and look around for some CCA 0 gauge. No need of OFC in this case. It will mostly just give you a better peace of mind knowing that your not going to ruin your amp or set fire to your car. I've seem YouTube videos where plp are showing off their system and all of a sudden there is a fire started by extremely hot and melting wire that was too small. Ultimately you are going to make a final decision and best of luck with what ever you chose.

Also if it does catch fire please video it so we can see

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

No guys shut up seriously. She knows everything except if she can underpower her sub.

For real though that's not a bad question. As they said you can underpower it just fine. 2k is pretty hefty and I think you will find that using 4 gauge will cause a voltage drop even with a second battery which is hard on amps. While bass is fun, I think that once you hear a system with good bass and good everything else you will be looking to upgrade the speakers well.
We like to help, but we don't like people to ask and then tell us we are wrong when we do help. If you want something out of your system let us know what you want and what you have to work with and be open minded. A lot of us have been doing this for awhile, so I'm not saying your cousin is dumb, but at the very least he is deciding this from different information than we have. A long run of 4 gauge won't handle 2k very well. As stated before, if you can't afford the electrical to push the system, you can't afford the system. A system is all inclusive not just a sub and amp. Good luck. Sorry to be a dick.

EDIT: changed he to she

Well like I already stated when I sell this Rockford amp I have i will throw in the 4g kit and buy a 1/0. So I mean even if that takes me 6 months then I'll have have the sub and amp sitting in my car that long. Basically what it has boiled down to.

I do plan to do Rockford Fosgate mids and highs in October but right now my budget isn't including that.

I can always add the things I want later.

Most, ok, well, a lot of people run their mids and highs off of a 4 channel.

Maybe you like 3k on your substage and 40 watts on your mids/highs.

Considering I am not doing mids and highs, I won't be getting a 4 chan amp...

Ah, so just bass. No vocals or instruments, none of that mess huh?

By mids/highs I mean your door speakers man.

Why would I get a amp for stock door speakers?

This tells me everything I need to know.

Forget the 1/0 and the batteries. Just run everything off of your H.U. including your sub stage.

I'm boycotting this thread. Best of luck.

Can you run a 2200w sub on a 2000w amp?

Pretty sure this proves my noob status...

they lied...or were wrong.

My cousin has been doing this since 1993 so I feel safe going with the 4g on this project.

Anyway not arguing on that just wanted to make sure I am not going to blow something up doing a 2k amp on a 2200w sub.

Actually, that proves your noob status.

Underpowering a sub is fine, but underpowering an amplifier is not.

I have been doing this since 1992 so I trump your cousin. HA

Anyway, a 2000W amp will consume almost 3000W from your electrical. Being that it is around 65-70% efficient.

At full power, it will draw about 250A when voltage drops to 12V.

Running wire from front battery to an amp in the rear would be about 16ft of wire in most cars.

According to electrical law, Pure Copper wire, 4awg can carry about 90-100 Amps at that distance.

-Pure copper 1/0 Awg can carry about 300-350A at that distance.

Also, Most standard starting batteries can supply 40-70A at any length of time. 120-300A Bursts. Thats up to about 1000W continuous

A good aftermarket battery about G34 to G31 size will supply 110-160A over time and 300-500 bursts. Thats about 2200W continuous

Take good advice or dont.

The cries of a low budget are all too common. If a person has almost no money, car audio is a luxury option, not a necessity.

If you choose to play in that luxury, make sure you do it within your budget.

A 2000W, dual battery system with 1/0 awg wire and a beefy sub may be what you really want, but if you can't afford it yet, start with a 1000W amp and expand over time.

It's amazing how good a 1000W setup can actually perform. And the second hand market place is huge. Selling stuff when you want to upgrade should not be an issue.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion