Sundown Audio

How hard is it to repair amplifiers?

Seymore

I'm pretty good with soldering, and i have a solder gun & wire on hand too. I've just never tried fixing an amp before :/
First one is a total mobile audio T10001 (not the T1000.1, the T10001) and I loved the thing. One day while bumping the music just cut out and there was a humming noise kinda soft (not that soft on two 15's) I know I had the gains set up right too. I've opened up the amp and I didn't see anything burnt sadly :/
Second one is a total mobile audio T5001 (again, not the T500.1, the T5001), and it underpowered my two alpine type-r's. Everything on this amp works perfectly, it's just that one of the input RCA's broke off but the other one works nicely. I still used it for about a month after it broke but I had to turn the gain so high up that i'm sure it was distorting.

I'll post pics of guts/problems later today, but does anyone here know something about these amps?

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

Fixing an amplifier is much more then just replacing bad parts.

You need to find out why that particular part failed which can be very difficult without the proper knowledge and tools.

Simply replacing the obvious parts could make the situation worse as the cause of the failure could still be there and continue to damage the replacement parts.

Eventually the damage could spread to other parts causing even more damage, maybe even fires.

Having schematics also helps in the troubleshooting and usually schematics are hard to come by.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

As wicks said...

Further more, if you where going to attempt to fix an amp, fix something that is blown and cheap, so your not out a lot of money..

Knowing how to solder has very little to do with repairing an amp.

Even simple enough jobs like fixing a broken rca plug can be a challenge on amps made by rockford fosgate because the mosfets are soldered to a secondary pcb that gets soldered down to the heatsink and than has a few setscrews holding it in. Just to remove the board to fix the rca plugs you have to heat up these mosfet boards without damaging them, or else your throwing more money out the window trying to replace them, and than you have to get them back on properly.

RF amps are some of the hardest to work on, even if you know how to repair amps but never repaired a rf before just because how they need to be taken apart and put together.

Theres a 99% chance you will turn them into scrap, which maybe fine to you, but they are worth a couple hundred bucks easily if they worked.

Does anyone know a dealer/repairer that could work on these amps?

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

Archived