Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

DC Power 240HP Alternator

Viper 5706

Lacks time alignment and pre-out voltage is low. How do the new Sony's sound? I moved away from Sony because I didn't like the slight high frequency distortion they had.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

I've been happy with it thus far, but it is on stock speakers. It does have a time alignment feature on it though. I was playing with it a little when I installed it. I'll have to read up on it to figure out exactly how it works.

What head unit would you recommend? I got it from Sonic Electronix so I have plenty of time to exchange it for something else.

2004 Pontiac Vibe Build

Sony MEX-N5000BT

JBL P660C x 2

Sundown Audio Zv4 18

Crescendo BC2000D

Crescendo S800/4

Execution Audio 0 AWG Wire

Sky High Car Audio RCA's

Toolmaker Terminals

XS Power D1200

DC Power 240HP Alternator

Viper 5706

Lacks time alignment and pre-out voltage is low.

Voltage out doesn't mean anything for sound quality.

Some of the most high performing home audio sources can put out well below 1V.

The source in kirill007's avatar only puts out 0.25V.

Time alignment can be fixed with an external processor.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

pre-out voltage is low.

The more pre-out voltage you have, the better chance to introduce noise into your system.

1 - 4 volts is more than enough.

What kind of signal processor should I be looking in to?

With your budget, I would go for a better headunit at a later date. This headunit should be more than enough to get you started.

I run the Kenwood DNX9980HD.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I've always been curious about that train of thought. Wouldn't you distort off the head unit power before the rca's output distorts to the amps?

Not sure what you are getting at brother ?? Are you asking if you can use the radio outputs and RCA outputs at the same time ??

Sorry I think I was mashing two concepts together. I know you can use speaker outputs and RCA outputs at the same time. I guess my question is wouldn't you clip from head unit power before rca's run through an amp because of the RCA's having a higher clip/distortion point.

I have seen it suggested quite a few times to run the rears off an aftermarket head units speaker outputs. Then you would use the RCA out's from the aftermarket head unit to bi-amp some components or run all 4 channels of an amp up front.

Just to finish this, yes all that I have played with the internal amp will clip before the RCAs. The reason to run the rears off the head unit is that you really don't want the rear fill being very loud. If you can hear the back and know it is the back then you need to turn them down. So you will fade to the front and the rears will never really get loud enough to clip anyway. Those are my thoughts on that. I even left my rear speakers stock because I am usually the only one in the car and front stage is all I care about (and sub stage of course). But thats why, no need for them really.

pre-out voltage is low.

The more pre-out voltage you have, the better chance to introduce noise into your system.

I think that's backwards. I'm not saying your dumb, or even wrong, I'm just saying this is how I understand it:

Given two identical wires run in the same environment, the same noise will be introduced. Lower voltage will be more affected by it because the amp will have to amplify the signal more to get the same output, thus the noise is amplified more as well. Therefore higher voltage is better. If you are using a balanced signal it will not be as big of an issue. Of course if you are running balanced that means you have some fairly high end equipment and might as well not skimp on a lower quality deck or processor that puts out low voltage. Does that make sense?

Personally I would go for 4 volt pre-outs

pre-out voltage is low.

I think that's backwards. I'm not saying your dumb, or even wrong, I'm just saying this is how I understand it:

Given two identical wires run in the same environment, the same noise will be introduced. Lower voltage will be more affected by it because the amp will have to amplify the signal more to get the same output, thus the noise is amplified more as well. Therefore higher voltage is better. If you are using a balanced signal it will not be as big of an issue. Of course if you are running balanced that means you have some fairly high end equipment and might as well not skimp on a lower quality deck or processor that puts out low voltage. Does that make sense?

Personally I would go for 4 volt pre-outs

The amplifier will do EXACTLY what you tell it to do, and it's job is to amplify the signal injected. Nothing more.

(I work with broadband coax amplifiers every day) ...

Yes, if you give too low of voltage ... it will cause problems and not give out the correct output.

However, it will not "introduce" noise to the system.

But if you give the amplifier too much signal ... You will overwork the input stage of the amplifier. In return, introduce noise into the system by raising the noise floor and decreasing headroom. This can be also know as Distortion ...

and to be honnest, i'm not sure why you are disagreeing with me when I said "1 to 4 volts" would be fine ???

I've seen PLENTY of SQ systems using 2 volts with no problems ...

When it comes to SQ ... You don't want to get the absolute MOST out of your amplifiers, You want them running at their BEST power levels without creating distortion or noise. Which is why you normally see SQ vehicles running very LARGE amplifiers to the point if you crank up the gains ... you will melt the components sets.

Like me ... I'm running 1,100 watts "True" RMS of Class A/B power to my Front Stage alone. Which is a 5.25" component set and a pair of 10s ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived