dharris2488 Posted May 4, 2014 Report Posted May 4, 2014 Hey guys, don't hate on me to hard for asking this question, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway! I've finally decided on the subs for my next build. Since the HDS3 12's are backordered for a bit longer, I'm going to start on my enclosure this afternoon. I've always liked the sound from a sealed enclosure and I know the suspension on the HDS line is already stiff. Do you guys think it will be ok to build a 4.5 c/ft (2.25 and somewhere around 2 c/ft after displacement/bracing) for the HDS3 12's? I will be throwing all 1200 RMS to each of them to get them to move. Will I still get fairly decent output from these subs in a large sealed enclosure? Keep in mind, I don't compete or anything. I'm a daily driver that likes to flex my windshield every now again. I'm a traveling salesman and I kind of need some trunk space. I know I will sacrifice some Db's, but will it still get loud and should I gain some SQ? And yes, I have the electrical to support this build already. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated. If ported is really the only way to go with these subs, can someone help me with a simple design using a slot port, tuned in the area of 30-32hz? I heard the RE Audio calculator isn't accurate... Keep in mind, this is if sealed won't work with HDS3's... Thanks! 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
timc31610 Posted May 4, 2014 Report Posted May 4, 2014 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186603-hds312-sealed/ Based off this thread I would pay attention to what John and Joe have to say. Looks like 2cf each may be a little high if you are going sealed. My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
dharris2488 Posted May 4, 2014 Author Report Posted May 4, 2014 Thanks for the thread link timc31610... I posted over there as well. Maybe the sweet spot's around 1.5 -1.7? I know the suspension is stiff as hell, so in order to flatten the response out and make these subs play well in a sealed environment, will be to provide a larger enclosure. Definitely going to take some power as well... I'm thinking about building at 2c/ft per sub and listening. Then adding 2x4's until I get the enclosure tuned to my liking (if possible!!! lol) Who knows??? I know I'm going against SQ'ed advise, but hey, it's only wood huh? lol 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
timc31610 Posted May 5, 2014 Report Posted May 5, 2014 I say go for it, a little experimentation never hurt. My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
dharris2488 Posted May 18, 2014 Author Report Posted May 18, 2014 I say go for it, a little experimentation never hurt. Well, after speaking with SoundQubed on this matter, they say to run sealed that I would have to build the box to vented enclosure specs. If I'm building my enclosure that big, I'm porting it for sure... I ended up building a 5.1c/ft enlcosure tuned to 33hz, that left me with a 4.2 net after all displacements. Sound's EFFF'N good... The Q2200.1 is pushing the hell out of those subs and they are loving every last watt I can throw at it. Kinda makes me wonder if the HDS3's can take 1500RMS daily? 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
bcbrassard Posted May 18, 2014 Report Posted May 18, 2014 I say go ported! Joe X design and just put it in yesterday and have amp to hook back up to test it out.
dharris2488 Posted May 18, 2014 Author Report Posted May 18, 2014 I say go ported! Joe X design and just put it in yesterday and have amp to hook back up to test it out. SEXY!!!! I need to figure out a way to seal my trunk off like that. I will have to reconfigure all my wires and such. Not up to it at the moment, but will be in probably a week or two! I can't believe the output of these subs. I like that box... Do you have the specs on it? If so, you care if I get them from you to see if it will work for my application and listening preferences? Is it a huge difference to have the subs/port firing in the cabin with the trunk sealed? I tried it with mine, of course trunk wasn't sealed off, and it sounded like POOH! I turned the enclosure around and that's when the magic happened. )) 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
dharris2488 Posted May 18, 2014 Author Report Posted May 18, 2014 Damn, that's a clean setup DCBrassard.... YOu should see the mess of wire and batteries I have going on in the rear of my car! 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
dharris2488 Posted May 18, 2014 Author Report Posted May 18, 2014 Hey, are those the HDC3 10's you bought? If so, how you liking them? They still get low like the 12's do? 2013 Toyota Camry SE 240a MechMan HO Alternator 1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3 CT Sounds 4000.1D Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp Infinity Kappa 6.5 components Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out) (4) 8" PRV 8MB450's Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets (2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure) (2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them) Pioneer AVH-X4600BT 100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner 120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener (4) Juice Box Black Cherries Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0 2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back ToolMaker Everywhere
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.