Sonic Electronix

Well, I did not know where to put this so I thought I would put it here to get the most responses. Please put in your 0.02 cents as I would like to see both sides of the story. From the young guys who get their first cars from their parents,....to the older guys who buy the first car for their teen.

First and foremost, if it wasn't for this site, I would not have gone ahead and purchased a GMC Jimmy! THANK YOU STEVE MEADE FOR THIS SITE!!!

Ok, the story goes........

My gf and I were talking about a getting a vehicle for her daugther who turns 16 in Aug. Knowing the financials, I stepped up to the plate and told my gf "Don't worry I will buy the vehicle for your daughter to drive". They were both skeptical. When I purchased this 01 GMC Jimmy, my gf started to cry, and her daughter was on cloud 9. Because of this site, I wanted a huge system in a Blazer/JImmy/Xtreme. So why not buy a truck and do it up, and best of all, let this tinny bopper drive it and show her off to her friends. You know how impressionistic teens are. I threw buzz words out there, LOUD system, "installed" not rigged, custom door panels with speaker pods, sun roof, all custom, new rims, etc. "You're going to have the loudest truck in school"(it's do-able). "All maintenance will be covered by me, since it's in my name". Her eyes were bright eyed. "What a deal!" You reading this know where my head is at on the build. It's my truck that she can drive, but of course, the FB post read "He bought me a truck!!!!". Hahahahaha what ever! lol.

Here is where things get alittle messy. My gf's daughter is "red-necky". PLEASE, NOT TRYING TO OFFEND, I'm just saying. lol. Her taste is very country, but she listens to rap music. She said she wants to put MOSSY OAK seat covers on seats. What?! She also likes the truck the way it sits. She and mother,....my gf....were asking to make it higher, add wider rims and tires. I showed them both the rims I purchased Ruff Racing R280 18's, and her daughter said "I like things lifted up". "Oh Ok!" How the hell do I handle this??

I do not want a lifted truck because the Jimmy 2 Dr. wheel base is short, any taller and she can tip over. The way her daughter drives, no way, she speeds through the corners. She felt the body roll in stock form "Slow down!, she has alot of body roll!" She definitely needs more driving time. I feel a lower stance will not be so tip-over friendly. Plus I DO NOT want her taking my truck mudding, for the transmission and interior sake!!!!

She was highly offended when we told her, the vehicle will have vehicle tracking and any speed infractions will lead to losing the car. She had a tandrum and walked off. Guess this is all new territory for all of us, on the other end of the spectrum. Her daughter is where 'we" were 25 yrs ago. lol. Ah, the memories!

I understand the importance of honoring someone's likes and dislikes, but a teen usually gets a hand-me-down first vehicle, which is what I am providing. But what I can afford to offer someone supercedes honoring someone's likes or dislikes. I recall not complaining since it was a set of wheels that denoted my new found freedom. I was always taught "Never to look a gift horse in the mouth".

The only stipulation I have is, her daughter gets a part time job and pays for the insurance on the vehicle. I know her stance will be "If I'm going to pay for the insurance I want the truck the way I want it". Typical teen protest. As I see it, "If she doesn't like the truck,....DO NOT DRIVE IT! Try and have your mother buy a vehicle...and insure it with a 16 yr old in the house. probably not going to happen". (I sound like my old man!!!!) Trust me, I'm enjoying the Jimmy with the sunroof. No sweat off my back! lol.

I'm alittle miffed that my gf is trying to persuade me to "lift the truck". I understand she wants her daughter to be happy, but it's more of a safety concern. Even a loud system is a safety concern. I'm considering only doing 1 sub, and expanding, as her driving improves.

We are here.......

00000_jHy1XdboMi7_600x450_zpsf53da90f.jp

I want to go here.......

blazer2la2_zps8798eb83.jpg

I have 2 people wanting......

maryland_zpsd7d93461.jpg

SO, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS, MAKE HER HAPPY OR BUILD THE TRUCK, THAT SHE CAN DRIVE FOR FREE?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Frank

Oh, she is also offended that the CD player in the Jimmy does not have a USB port. "I do not want her thumbing through songs while she is driving!". After I said that my gf said "I have you on speaker phone and my daughter is listening". "Sorry (name removed), it's only for your safety, put your songs on CD" lol.

-Frank

Tough decisions man either way I can guarantee she won't be 100% happy with the outcome. Hell I was lucky to get a decent car when I hit that age. She won't really care about all the hard work you do to accomplish something that's not even for you.

You will definitely get into some gray area real quick with her. She thinks it is her truck, meaning that she will be driving it all the time. I'm willing to bet that once you start driving it around here and there she might start getting upset.

You might need to make it clear to both of them that it is YOUR truck and you are LETTING her drive it.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

In my opinion give it to her the way it sits and maybe agree to her lifting the truck if she earns the money working part time...then maybe in the future you can work out a way for her to purchase the truck from your or something.

Tough decisions man either way I can guarantee she won't be 100% happy with the outcome. Hell I was lucky to get a decent car when I hit that age. She won't really care about all the hard work you do to accomplish something that's not even for you.

Dude, I had to drive a 1976 puke green Plymouth Belvedere to school!! I was so embarassed by people laughing at me, but at least I was driving! That's how I see it.

This MINUS the lights and sirens.

plymouth033_zps369fc510.jpg

-Frank

You will definitely get into some gray area real quick with her. She thinks it is her truck, meaning that she will be driving it all the time. I'm willing to bet that once you start driving it around here and there she might start getting upset.

You might need to make it clear to both of them that it is YOUR truck and you are LETTING her drive it.

Yeah, the truck is in my name for insurance purposes. That will relieve the financial burden for my gf. So I am helping her out as well. Her daughter will be the one driving it in August. I am tuning her up until than replacing parts as needed. A few hundo more and she'll be ready by her birthday. The prior owner took decent care of her.

Dub, you are correct! I think she is alittle upset about the direction the truck is going. Right now I am driving it to see what is wrong with it, and I am enjoying it. lol. I think that bothers both my gf and her daughter. Thinking I may renig on the deal. I will not. I will keep my word.

But I too have to realize, teens view life in an "ECOCENTRIC" format. "It's about them, not that I am saving her mother money, not that I am risking my own insurance premium if she wrecks it, etc.". Teens just do not see the bigger picture.

I just do not want this to get ugly, between me and my gf, and between me and her daughter. Teens will use that "I like you" thing if you are in agreement with them, and when you are not "I hate you".....because for the past year I have been biting my tongue on some of her antics...because she is not my kid. But a year is enough time to lay down the law!!! lol. I will take your advise and sit with her again and tell her the logistics of it all. She either understands or walks, it's that simple!

-Frank

This is just my humble opinion but I see you losing your ass on this. Giving someone else's child a vehicle and dropping thousands on audio equipment to put in it, just asking for that ride to get jacked and stripped or broken into. You sound like a hell of a nice guy though, just hate to see someone spend a nice chunk of change and have it ripped off or things not work out. Sounds like a hell of a gamble to me. Anyways, it's just my opinion on it, please take no offence.

So you want to make a toy out of it but it's not for you? All I can see is you bitching everytime it doesn't get treated the way you want when it's not yours, a gift is a gift you can't tell them how to treat it

You bought her a car

Anything else she should pay, unless you give it to her and when you give something you can't say what to do with it

Sounds like she doesnt know what she really has. But you also have to let her learn on her own. As a teen, i can say i will most likely ignore all advice and do what i want to do, fuck it up and then start to listen to what everyone else told me. Example: i bought a quad. I though i was a boss and was going though some deep mud, My dad told me if i keep doing that, my motor will take a big slurp of water and try to compress it and screw it up. So as you can imagine a 17 yr old.. LOL screw you dad! i do what i want! aaaaaand then i went though again, sank my quad and... yeah. I at least got a tow back to camp. So when she goes and fucks up her truck, Tell her "told you so" and let her do her own thing. She will most likely buy a 300 dollar beater, but she will treat that like a brand new Cadillac. The way some teens think is if they didnt pay for it, they dont really care.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Archived