MindCrime Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 I'd like to start off by saying I know very little about car audio or anything about accoustics for that matter. I like deep bass(sub 35hz i think), and I want more of it out of what I have. So here is what I have: 2006 wrx pretty much stock. Lowered about 1.5in, previous owner did a STI trunk swap. The subs are JBL p1222 spec link here pdf file The profile of the box is hard to describe, from the top it runs 4inches deep (parallel to ground) then angles downward at about 60deg until about 4in from the bottom it turns perpendicular to ground. It's 16in high, 16in deep at the bottom, and 35in wide, these are all OD rough measurements. Should I attempt to calculate the volume? Normally a stock vehicle would have access to the trunk here Focal FP1.800 spec sheet I have no idea what I'm doing here, other than I know gain is amplification and I would think one of those needs to be pointed near or related to the frequency of bass I want. The head unit is a kenwood KDC-X395 no photo. The box is the only part of the system I haven't changed. When i got the car it had two rockford fosgate 12s (1 blown) and a horrible and improperly wired amp. It was mounted to an unfinished scrap MDF(?) that was free to move around in the spare tire well. There was a matching trunk deck that spanned the whole trunk it looked very nice...but i couldn't fit the stock spare (its a donut) in with the deck there. The car is my daily driver so it has to be reliable. I don't want to spend any more money, just want to be able to tune it to something I would enjoy more. It's got plenty of power for me I would just like to be able to get a good low note out of it. Since the box is so small I contemplated cutting a hole in the box where the center seat pulls down. But like I said above I don't know anything about accoustics. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
will77530 Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 where are you located maybe your near someone that can help you out more hands on, i go from reno nv to ca almost weekly message me if your close
bbeljefe Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 You won't get any more low end extension out of that box. Even if it's sealed, it's too small. Your best bet is to have a custom ported enclosure built and if you don't want to sacrifice any more space then I would lose one of the subs so the other one can have enough space to get low. In the end, there is nothing you can do with the amp to make the subs play lower. They are restricted by the box they're in. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
MindCrime Posted May 9, 2014 Author Report Posted May 9, 2014 where are you located maybe your near someone that can help you out more hands on, i go from reno nv to ca almost weekly message me if your close I'm in Portland, OR
Jessica Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 your sub sonic filter is at about 30hz. you could try turning that down closer to 20hz Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
MindCrime Posted May 9, 2014 Author Report Posted May 9, 2014 You won't get any more low end extension out of that box. Even if it's sealed, it's too small. Your best bet is to have a custom ported enclosure built and if you don't want to sacrifice any more space then I would lose one of the subs so the other one can have enough space to get low. In the end, there is nothing you can do with the amp to make the subs play lower. They are restricted by the box they're in. Can you explain what you mean by "even if it's sealed." A sealed box can be smaller than a ported box? Sadly I won't be able to do a bigger box, not in the forseeable future at least. Is there a way to figure out how low it can be tuned for? Could it be modified to run just 1 at an ideal tune?
youngbass98 Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 He is saying your prefab Is most likely too small for a sealed box and a ported box, my suggestion would be just one sub in a custom ported box, your not going to be able to modify that box, just make one someone will probably hook you up with a design if you post up dimentions 06 monte carlo 2 12 rockford p3s soundstream rubicon 2500 crescendo audio mezzo 6.5 ct sounds 125.4 execution audio and shca wiring 2 xs d3400 on stock alt
Krakin Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 Sit back, read, learn and then attempt to work on your car. Would hate for you to do any harm to it due to ignorance. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
bbeljefe Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 You won't get any more low end extension out of that box. Even if it's sealed, it's too small. Your best bet is to have a custom ported enclosure built and if you don't want to sacrifice any more space then I would lose one of the subs so the other one can have enough space to get low. In the end, there is nothing you can do with the amp to make the subs play lower. They are restricted by the box they're in. Can you explain what you mean by "even if it's sealed." A sealed box can be smaller than a ported box? Sadly I won't be able to do a bigger box, not in the forseeable future at least. Is there a way to figure out how low it can be tuned for? Could it be modified to run just 1 at an ideal tune? Sealed enclosures are generally smaller than ported enclosures for the same sub. Of course, enclosure design isn't binary so there is no way one can say a sealed box has to be X cubic feet and a ported has to be Y. However, it doesn't matter if the box is sealed or ported, in order to produce low notes you need a large box. And of course, smaller subs need less space than larger ones and single subs need less space than multiple subs. And to give you an example of where your box falls.... I'm currently building a box shaped exactly like the one in your car but I'm building it for one 10" sub. That box is larger than the one you have two 12s in. Not by a lot, mind you, but it is larger none the less. You do have an option though and that's (as you asked) removing one sub and venting the box you have. That'll allow you to tune the box ~33Hz and get some low end extension from it. And sorry but I didn't see that your infrasonic filter is turned up. Turn it all the way down as it's not needed in a sealed enclosure. That may get you a little bit of low end extension. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Smurfboy Posted May 9, 2014 Report Posted May 9, 2014 Sit back, read, learn and then attempt to work on your car. Would hate for you to do any harm to it due to ignorance. Agree. Take the time to read and see plenty of people's setup. The best way to do this is to search someone who has the same car as you and you'll be surprise to see what they come up with that you might like. I've seen couple of people's trucks that are similar to mine and their sound systems are awesome. They gave me a lot of ideas what to expect and that's how I invested my money with subs/amps/setup, etc. Oh, and definitely type your location/state in the search engine of this forum and you'll be surprise how many members that might live near you and know how to hook up the system. It works for me.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.