Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Looking for 12" sub that handles 1200rms


Recommended Posts

Posted

AJ, I can argue that a larger sub sealed will sound better, get louder, and have more bandwidth than a smaller sub in a vented box. I have the experience and knowledge to back that up. I know you want to think ported, ported, ported, but it's not always the best application for what someone is wanting. The Q is the better option here for this guys situation.

The true purpose of a vented box is to have a bump around tuning, not some monster bandwidth. A sealed box had a wider, flatter response than a vented. If you haven't heard a sealed box that hit low, you haven't heard the RIGHT sealed box. That Fi Q can really shine in a sealed enclosure, and as stated, especially with the high QTS feature.

For you AJ, a sealed box isn't the way to go. I've heard you say on multiple times that you'd much rather have a sub stage that plays into the 20s and moves air rather than a sub that plays music well into the 50s and 60s. Not everyone is after that kind of goal. Some people actually like to hear music from their subwoofer rather than air being pushed.

My point, vented sounds better to YOU.Have you ever ACTUALLY heard a Fi Q in a sealed box to give first hand experience? Just because you're all about vented, doesn't mean it's the only thing that exists. It's clearly the only option for you.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

I've never heard.any sealed box.play anything Close to below 40hz. I've been to allot of comps/meets and have seen all sorts of sealed boxes. i never once thought wow that sounds good. (hence why people who win sq comps don't use them)

it maybe the best for him but not for the majority of people.

a ported box built and tuned correctly will out shine a sealed box every time.

you know that Clean.

your right i should hear the q with the high qts in a sealed. but i wouldn't ever go sealed.

with that said. the most violentsystem I've ever heard was a sealed wall. it was a 98 ranger with 4 15s walled n a sealed box. it wasnt loudest system I've ever heard(or the best sounding) but by far the Most violent! they way it shook you and beat you up I've never had that from and ported wall.

so sealed does have its place... i guess but not in the sq world.

will it do everything the op wants yea if he likes sealed boxes then the q in a sealed Will prolly blow his mind.

and i was saying if he's going with sealed to just have sound quality then he's been misinformed. that's not what the pros use.

its a myth, just like 8s don't get low and you can't get good sound out of a 15. simply not the case.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Posted

You think out your responses Aj, and I will give you credit for that, I like that you do that.

As far as the sealed boxes you've heard not hitting below 40 Hz, THIS comes down to you've not heard enough. The lay system I had with 2 12s sealed in my truck played into the low 30s fine. A sub that's really meant to shine in a sealed enclosure(like the Fi Q and others) will hold it's own when compared to a smaller driver of equal quality(Like the DC M3 8"). It will also do it with a much flatter response than than ported box. I know flat doesn't seem to be the name of the game, but when you've got the extra cone area of the 12" sub, I think you're going to have a hard time telling(in a blindfolded test) which sub you liked hearing better. This is assuming that both are built and designed well to perform at the top of their game.

I know it seems like I pick on you specifically dude. I wish you'd read up on some enclosure design, I think you'd truly enjoy it(if you had the time to read a bunch of stuff haha). I do like you, I assure you(not that you probably care or not) and I can't wait to see your build when you start with all of the CT stuff.

OP, sorry for sidetrack and derail :(

I can't wait to see what you decide and what you end up building.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

I have a sealed box on my Sundown SD-2 12" and it sounds amazing. Hits hard and is loud. I don't have my car set up as an SPL system though. I was thinking of making a ported box just to see the difference in tuning without changing anything.

Posted

I would argue that I would take a smaller ported sub in the correctly designed box over a larger sealed sub, unless it is a LOT more cone area.

Been there too many times and like ported every time.

Edit - but I am not saying a Fi Q or AA Havoc is not a great choice. Have a 12" in my wife's car in 1 cuft sealed on 800 watts, and it is awesome.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Posted

Good info^^^^

Is a 12" sub not significant enough of a difference to be "enough" cone area? Like a 15" would be the choice to have the edge?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Think im gonna order a FI Q.

but I have some questions first

on the order sheet it asks what options I want but doesn't give a description of them. could someone tell me wht they all mean

cooling - $30

P Chamfer

High QTS

Spider -$5

I heat ring - $20

Internal lead - $25

Without music, life would be an error

Posted

most of them deal with the voice coil and allowing the coil to handle more power and more heat.

Often times the failure of a sub has to do with the over heating of the voice coil.

I would definitely get the spider though, its cheap and always a good idea!

Otherwise I don't believe that sub will have any problems with heat as long as your not constantly powering it to full power.

2002 Toyota Corolla


Pioneer DEH-80PRS


Soundqubed Q1-2200d


Soundqubed HDC3.118


Soundqubed Q4-120


Alpine SPR-60


Alpine SPR-60C

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2843 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...