Well, after first test run, she sounds awesome! I expected it to be loud, which she is. But it is incredibly clean sounding, especially for a basically new sub.

Needless to say I am very happy with the initial results. Gotta build a good box for it now...

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Nice Trent! Is that an 8-layers flat?

Na I didn't bore this one, it's a 4-layer. Hence the 1500 RMS rating.

I thought about it, but these DC coils fit so well I decided not to.

I also tried a few other coils (Zv.2, Zv.3) but they were not going to work out well. (ZV.2 - too sloppy ID, too tight OD)

I could have cut the gap open for the Zv.3 to fit, but it w have still been too sloppy ID for my liking.

My girl is begging me to let her keep this one lol! I think she likes it...

It is a really nice sub. I just love these Solo X motors!

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

• 2 weeks later...

This sub will be for sale soon. (my girl can't afford it!) Lol!

Na, I'm fixing her up w something a little less expensive.

This bad boy deserves to be with someone who will use it properly! It will come with a pre built drop-in recone.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Hello friends!

Just wanted to share my latest build with you. I call it the "DC Solo hX2v.3". This build started about a year ago, when I picked up a Solo X 12 motor from Cody J.. I was going to try to find three more, and use these motors to build the subs for my car. But I didn't have much luck, and had a really bad winter overall, and so the motor just set in my closet until about three weeks ago. And it still set around, until last weekend, when my Solo X 15 was sold. Although I needed the money, I really hated selling that sub. (it was my baby...) So I got to thinking, and decided it was time to use this motor, and build another Solo X.

So I spent several days going over the different parts I have, and what I can get, just deciding what direction I wanted this to go. And after many different mock-up's, I finally decided to go this route. Main reasons are: A. These parts will work perfect together, I mean perfect. And B. I didn't want to build something here that has already been done several times, I wanted this one to be different. I think I accomplished that.

Here are the parts it consists of, and a few finished pics (so you don't have to wait until the end).

- Kicker Solo X 12 motor.

- Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 basket. (cast aluminum, nice frame if you really look at it)

- DC Audio 3" d2ohm 4-layer flat-wound high-temp coil.

- Sundown Zv.3 12" cone/ surround (double stitched) & gasket.

- Dual progressive roll (med. soft) Nomex spiders (Stitched over-sized tinsel leads)

- 10g chrome push terminals (PSi)

This is where it is important to make the right decisions. Just because a coil fits into a motor's gap, doesn't mean it is right. You have to be sure it fit's the gap properly, and that you wont have clearance issues, such as coil rub or bottoming out. In other words, time and research really matters. Sometimes people can get lucky and throw parts together into a sub and it turns out well, but usually it will be a failure, unless you research the parts and make sure they are going to be right.

How do you know they work together perfectly? How do you predict the T/S parameters?

I find it very hard to believe these parts work "perfectly" together.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Hello friends!

How do you know they work together perfectly? How do you predict the T/S parameters?

I'm assuming that they did work perfectly, because PurpleHaze wouldn't sell somebody something he isn't proud of.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Hello friends!

I'm assuming that they did work perfectly, because PurpleHaze wouldn't sell somebody something he isn't proud of.

I always find it strange if other people answer even though they can't know the answer because it is directed to one person only.

But still, just because he's proud of it doesn't mean that it works "perfectly".

Hello friends!

I always find it strange if other people answer even though they can't know the answer because it is directed to one person only.

But still, just because he's proud of it doesn't mean that it works "perfectly".

I can say it is a perfect mix of parts because:

A. Everything fits properly, mainly the coil/ moving mass, according to the specs of the motor and gap, along with the specs of the frame,

B. I have tested it, and have #'s and a graph, if you'd like to see them..

This sub is a perfect match of parts for this motor, I stand behind that statement.

It's a beast, period. And it functions flawlessly.

And actually I haven't tried once to sell it yet. I only mentioned that it may be for-sale.

This one may be too good to sell...

Edit: Actually every speaker/ subwoofer should be a mix of parts that work perfectly together. If not, you just have a shitty sounding or shitty performing driver that probably wont last long.

So on that note every sub I have built has been a perfect mix of parts.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Hello friends!

I can say it is a perfect mix of parts because:

A. Everything fits properly, mainly the coil/ moving mass, according to the specs of the motor and gap, along with the specs of the frame,

B. I have tested it, and have #'s and a graph, if you'd like to see them..

This sub is a perfect match of parts for this motor, I stand behind that statement.

It's a beast, period. And it functions flawlessly.

And actually I haven't tried once to sell it yet. I only mentioned that it may be for-sale.

This one may be too good to sell...

Edit: Actually every speaker/ subwoofer should be a mix of parts that work perfectly together. If not, you just have a shitty sounding or shitty performing driver that probably wont last long.

So on that note every sub I have built has been a perfect mix of parts.

On that note, I'd like to see some graphs or T/S parameters(which is easier since I can then predict how the driver will work and make my own graphs).

Every good subwoofer has been engineered in a good FEA simulation program, after that it get's changed because it will never be 100% correct.

So after about 2-3 changes if you know what you are doing and/or get lucky you get a good subwoofer where the parts work perfectly together for 1 specific goal and offcourse everything else is a compromise.

Archived