Second Skin Audio

Subs up, Port back really the best for suv's?

kowboy

my setup is going to be 2 15's, subs up/port up as of right now in a explorer. what other factors come into play beside the enclosure style and vehicle used?

It all depends on room in the truck, size of box required for the subs, type of subs, are you staying under the window line, are you keeping the back seat,etc.

I would start with a box with subs up on the left with port up on the right. That will take the least amount of real estate in the back.

There's a 100 ways to skin a cat.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Not trying to hijack this thread But I had one question to throw in to this. I have a 04 Tahoe going to keep third row seat and stuff two twelve inch subs " Ether the Fi BLT, Fi.Q or the MTX 9500" firing down with ports facing up? I was wondering if this would be a waist of time to port the enclosure this way and I should just keep it sealed. I don't have allot of room to work with but you know how this goes. Any help would be great.

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

Running the port on the top and subs on the bottom will give the box a weird loading problem.

Keeping the third row limits you a bit on box size so I would build them sealed with either the subs firing down or forward through the third row. If there's enough room clearence wise then fire them to the rear. That would give you an overall better sound.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

What if i would run the ports to the side? Would I sill have that loading problem? Thanks

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

What if i would run the ports to the side? Would I sill have that loading problem? Thanks

All depends on what kind of room you have

Here is a .Cad file of what I was thinking about. I'll try to convert it to a jpeg later tonight when I get home from work Or if some1 would like to do it for me thats fine also. Thanks!

Ported_Box_Design.cad

if your not looking into pounding it out in the lanes and just want a good groundpounder then I would do port and subs back. That way you won't have to worry about loading issues with the roof.

can you explain more about loading issues with the roof?

for me, subs up port back in my tahoe was always the loudest.  Usually my port is only 8" away from the back though and i think that helps.  When you must take it all the way to the back glass, ie the whole cargo area, then put that slot port parallel with the back hatch all the way in the back. 

Posted Image

This one did a 150.1 or something like that at a USAC show....2 DD9515's 2 Zapco 9.0 - daily beater.

Posted Image

that one did high 152's dash, high 153's in the kick....was in my hoe so you know it was a daily beater.  The guy who bought this box from me after i used it for a year STILL rocks it in his expedition.  I heard it not too long ago and it HAMMERS!

I say both configurations can work but they both have their time and place.  Only experience will tell you whats best.  Plan on trying a few boxes before your done :D

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Archived