So I've been running a HAT Clarus 12" sub for a few months now in a sealed box and it sounded pretty good. But after I got an SUV I thought it'd be fun to play around with a T-Line design so I built a 30hz quarter wave for it and all I can say is wow!

I thought is sounded good before in a sealed box, now there's no way I could go back to sealed. I could probably downgrade to an 8" T-Line and still have to turn the amp down to keep it in balance, it's just that efficient.

I strongly suggest that anyone that is truly serious about SQ give a T-Line a try, I have a feeling you'll be just as impressed as I've been with the performance. And don't be put off by the size, you can easily use a much smaller sub and get better performance (and on less power) than the usual 10 or 12 in a sealed box.

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

Got pictures? Curious to see. I have a friend messing around with a bunch of T-lines for a bunch of different drivers, for home theater though. It's pretty sweet.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

If the enclosure weren't so damn large and heavy, I'd love to give one a chance myself, but I just don't think I could deal with loosing my entire trunk and adding 100lbs of weight to my ride over that of a properly tuned ported enclosure.

Tell me, are the benefits of a T-line all that much over a nice ported enclosure?

You have a lot closer group delay than you get in a vented enclosure, especially since the closer you get to tuning the higher the delay in vented.

This example is real old, but gets the idea across.

1074112_645216472155223_964291951_o.jpg

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

So I've been running a HAT Clarus 12" sub for a few months now in a sealed box and it sounded pretty good. But after I got an SUV I thought it'd be fun to play around with a T-Line design so I built a 30hz quarter wave for it and all I can say is wow!

I thought is sounded good before in a sealed box, now there's no way I could go back to sealed. I could probably downgrade to an 8" T-Line and still have to turn the amp down to keep it in balance, it's just that efficient.

I strongly suggest that anyone that is truly serious about SQ give a T-Line a try, I have a feeling you'll be just as impressed as I've been with the performance. And don't be put off by the size, you can easily use a much smaller sub and get better performance (and on less power) than the usual 10 or 12 in a sealed box.

24 to 28 htz would probably give you better Sound Quality ... If that's what you are actually looking for.

Judges look REALLY deep into the lowest frequiency avialiable that your system can reach without stressing the amplifier ...

... and yes, please post pics if you can.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Ah, so you can achieve a tighter/punchier sounding bass output closer to that of sealed enclosure, yet retain deeper bass excursion?

Hmm... now I may be a bit more tempted to give one a go. Any particular requirements of a sub to be suitable for a T-line enclsoure?

Ah, so you can achieve a tighter/punchier sounding bass output closer to that of sealed enclosure, yet retain deeper bass excursion?

Hmm... now I may be a bit more tempted to give one a go. Any particular requirements of a sub to be suitable for a T-line enclsoure?

Here are some great links about the design of transmission lines.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/design/MJK-for-dummies/index.html

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

Main thing is you want a high QTS, suggested to be over 0.35.

A low Fs if you are looking for far extension, in a home environment with low gain compared to a car you can expect around half an octave reach below the Fs of the driver and I would expect further in a car.

With Vas you don't want it too low, because it would require an enclosure too small to fit a proper line.

Let's say we are tuning to X frequency.

A straight line is our normal, a tapered line, with the opening of the mouth having a smaller area than the closed end, would be the shorted line for the same frequency. This will help eliminate the upper harmonics that are so pesky.

And expanding line with the closed end being smaller area than the opening will be the longest line. This will have a higher output, but a bad response curve.

Archived