Sundown Audio

My Taramp HD8000 Review

sencheezy

Just wire to rated impedance and have OK voltage and you'll be alright.

Sorry for reviving an old thread guys, but this seems to be the discussion and the place for my dilemma.

Taylor I was sent to you specifically for an answer, and Raptorman you seem to have a better grasp than a lot of folks on these Taramps, so here goes....

I hoarded too much equipment this last while and decided to put some of it to use and upgrade my setup in my daily car. Just to get it out of the way, Mechman 320, NSB AGM34 & AGM31.

Looking at this Fi Team D1 I've had for a minute I have been trying to figure out the best way to run it, going over .5 ohm setups it just wasn't what I wanted to do and then one day I stumbled across the Taramps HD5000 2 ohm version. Like holy shit this makes it easy. Bought it. Now in afterthought (amp isn't even here yet) as I start to put the pieces together in my head I realize, oh shit, the Fi is truly a dual .7 ohm.....

That puts me at 1.4 ohms and from everything I've read today I have a situation. I realize now my 'safe' bet would have been to get the 1 ohm version and trade off a little bit of power for the lower impedance rating, but it's too late to do that unless I find someone that made the opposite mistake I did and we can bail each other out. So the question is, can either of you guys confirm that yes I made a mistake? I'm accepting it already, just want to hear it from someone like you guys, so far it's just been "I'm just guessing, but....."

Im sitting in the explorer now and its nuts, even on only 1 bass amp! Thanks for the demo brotha!

Hey no problem man! See you at Slamfest!

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Add me on SC, FB, IG, and YT @ Sencheezy

Sorry for reviving an old thread guys, but this seems to be the discussion and the place for my dilemma.

Taylor I was sent to you specifically for an answer, and Raptorman you seem to have a better grasp than a lot of folks on these Taramps, so here goes....

I hoarded too much equipment this last while and decided to put some of it to use and upgrade my setup in my daily car. Just to get it out of the way, Mechman 320, NSB AGM34 & AGM31.

Looking at this Fi Team D1 I've had for a minute I have been trying to figure out the best way to run it, going over .5 ohm setups it just wasn't what I wanted to do and then one day I stumbled across the Taramps HD5000 2 ohm version. Like holy shit this makes it easy. Bought it. Now in afterthought (amp isn't even here yet) as I start to put the pieces together in my head I realize, oh shit, the Fi is truly a dual .7 ohm.....

That puts me at 1.4 ohms and from everything I've read today I have a situation. I realize now my 'safe' bet would have been to get the 1 ohm version and trade off a little bit of power for the lower impedance rating, but it's too late to do that unless I find someone that made the opposite mistake I did and we can bail each other out. So the question is, can either of you guys confirm that yes I made a mistake? I'm accepting it already, just want to hear it from someone like you guys, so far it's just been "I'm just guessing, but....."

I run my two HD8000 2ohm at 1.5 ohm for Slamology. Only one made it through the show, the other would not come out of protect. BUT, in it's defense, I put both amps through hell. I demo'd all day Friday Saturday and late into Sunday afternoon. With both amps baking in the 90 degree weather, with no engine on, all battery. I'm sure there was some clipping involved as well.

Simply put, if you're wanting nothing to worry about, and you want to beat the piss out of your system with no worries or concern, do what's needed to get the right ohm load.

Right now, I'm wired with one 8k, at 3 ohms, still doing a 157.8 outlaw clamping about 4krms.

So in short, again, do what you need to do to get the final ohm load required.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

They are a dual one. Do some reaearch on the c poo ils before you do any trades you might be ok.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Yeah man gotta be at least 2 ohm for the best reliability. 1.4 ohm is really pushing it. Tara reps have said some have handled it well and some have not.

I'm assuming that's because some people rise high enough for the amp to be happy. I wouldn't dice it.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I think it would be ok, personally. But a lot of that depends on your rise (obviously) and how you are on the volume knob. If you're one that beats your system like a red headed step child... make a trade for a Korean. If you are half ass responsible and can pay attention to the clipping indicator...roll with the Taramps.

Just as a side note... the HD3000 that started my romance with Taramps is still running at half rated impedance daily to this day.

Testing over the weekend.

Pulling 266 amps of current per amplifier - this was during a demo session full tilt

Instant burp pulled 560amp of current before fuse blew

Slow roll burp pulled 330 amps of current before fuse blew

These numbers are from the MECA show this Sunday in KY.
For those not familiar with MECA, we burp by fuses which places us in said class.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Sorry for the length, but it's pretty in depth. Demo at the end if you wish to skip the beginning.

165db with 237 DC Volts

6 15" SSA Evils

3 HV Taramps T60k @.33

18 XS Power D3400s

Archived