Second Skin Audio

Is it bad to run two different subs together??

So im guessing none of you read the first post... these two subs are as identical as it gets when it comes to specs aside from one being able to handle a little more juice. THIS IS TEMPORARY. 2 weeks at the most. The box was made custom for the W1s. One W1 remains on left and new W3 on right. I spoke to numerous audio shops in the area and they all said it would be stupid to buy a new box for the W3s since there box dimensions are soooo close. Nothing in my setup is ghetto i promise u. I have gotten over 8 years on my W1s and one is still kicking. I just wanted a little more clarification from some salty subwoofer professionals, in the hopes that they could give me some insight on the sound difference I'm hearing. I know 2 different subs is ghetto-- but again this is very temp and the subs are practically brothers by line.

They aren't the same. They are very different. They are not identical. I don't know how it needs to be phrased to be understood, how many posts above this one have said this?

just by changing the coil of a speaker you change a lot of our parameters. I say if they're in completely different enclosures then you should be fine to try it out then quickly take it out when you don't like it anymore.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Oh, and you'll likely get more cancellation/peaks between the two different subs than two same model subs. If you are running the subs in a shared chamber enclosure, running to different subs is not a good idea.

chamber isnt shared ... the box separate the ports

So it's a ported enclosure? What enclosure is it exactly? Home made, prefab, what? Got a model number of the enclosure or link to it if prefab.

If it's ported, that would make it an even worse idea IMHO.

And if ported, have you a proper subsonic filter to protect the subs you use?

like i said before this is only temporary-- and they are literally the same sub just one is newer.. and can handle a little more wattage.. the box was made custom for the JL w1v2s but after looking over the ported spec for the new version the box requirement are completely similar both require the same volume

Did you even compare their T/S Parameters? Literally, none of them are the same, the only similarity is they both are suitable for the same internal volume sealed enclosure. Their recommended ported enclosure specs differ a little on tuning and volume, which may not seem like much, but one must also account for the larger displacement of the W3's motor structure, so im the end, the ported enclosure for the W3 needs to be noticeably larger than for the W1 to remain at same internal volume after displacement. Given the enclosure you have is sounds to be in fact a shared chamber divided merely by the slot port, one sub being different will change how the other behaves.

Claim all you like that "the subs are identical, besides one being rated to handle more power", which in itself just goes to prove they are in fact different. Still, it's your equipment and no harm should come about running them as so if a subsonic filter is properly used.

I fully understand this is a temporary setup, but I still can't give my approval.

Again, none of us can stop you from running the setup as you see fit, but you asked for our input and we have given it. Sorry it wasn't up to you expectations.

If it makes you feel better, by all means run the setup as you plan, that's exactly as it's supposed to be setup and it'll sound GREAT. Feel better now? Is that what you wanted to hear everyone say?

cancellation

while one is hitting a certain note with authority the other will be playing like shit.. making your all around bass sound like shit

the way i am even if the sub is the same model just different cone or soround or anything that is cosmetically not the same i wont use them together.. it looks so ghetto

Yes I read the first post.

If it's "only for 2 weeks" just skip it altogether and wait for the permanent solution.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Archived