Second Skin Audio

Is it bad to run two different subs together??

Do you consider running subs in most prefab enclosures "bad"? Most do. Some don't care. Basically same thing here.

Will it probably sound like poo? Yeah.

Can it physically be done without physical damage to the subs? Usually.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Oh, and you'll likely get more cancellation/peaks between the two different subs than two same model subs. If you are running the subs in a shared chamber enclosure, running to different subs is not a good idea.

chamber isnt shared ... the box separate the ports

So it's a ported enclosure? What enclosure is it exactly? Home made, prefab, what? Got a model number of the enclosure or link to it if prefab.

If it's ported, that would make it an even worse idea IMHO.

And if ported, have you a proper subsonic filter to protect the subs you use?

Its ghetto. Does that count

Agreed. Tacky and ghetto as hell.

I called a couple of people out on the Low Budget audio group for running 3 mismatched subs in different boxes off of one amp and basically said that it was ghetto in a roundabout way. Oh boy did that start a shitstorm, but all we said was to pick one, sell the others, and find a match for the one he had. Never got banned for it, so I guess the admins agreed with me. Some of the other guys, along with myself, got ripped on for having "higher end brand" gear than most of the guys in that group and "hating" on the the cheap stuff, which we flipped into that we are there to help and that "low budget" is subjective to some people (some of us have been through the cheap crappy gear stage)

I see that the OP is already doing teh "sell one and buy a match of the other"

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Oh, and you'll likely get more cancellation/peaks between the two different subs than two same model subs. If you are running the subs in a shared chamber enclosure, running to different subs is not a good idea.

chamber isnt shared ... the box separate the ports

So it's a ported enclosure? What enclosure is it exactly? Home made, prefab, what? Got a model number of the enclosure or link to it if prefab.

If it's ported, that would make it an even worse idea IMHO.

And if ported, have you a proper subsonic filter to protect the subs you use?

like i said before this is only temporary-- and they are literally the same sub just one is newer.. and can handle a little more wattage.. the box was made custom for the JL w1v2s but after looking over the ported spec for the new version the box requirement are completely similar both require the same volume

Agreed. Tacky and ghetto as hell.

I called a couple of people out on the Low Budget audio group for running 3 mismatched subs in different boxes off of one amp and basically said that it was ghetto in a roundabout way. Oh boy did that start a shitstorm, but all we said was to pick one, sell the others, and find a match for the one he had. Never got banned for it, so I guess the admins agreed with me. Some of the other guys, along with myself, got ripped on for having "higher end brand" gear than most of the guys in that group and "hating" on the the cheap stuff, which we flipped into that we are there to help and that "low budget" is subjective to some people (some of us have been through the cheap crappy gear stage)

I see that the OP is already doing teh "sell one and buy a match of the other"

=\

Do you consider running subs in most prefab enclosures "bad"? Most do. Some don't care. Basically same thing here.

Will it probably sound like poo? Yeah.

Can it physically be done without physical damage to the subs? Usually.

"Is it bad to run two different subs together??"

Bad? no.

preferred, recommend, common? no

It will not sound near as good as it could/should. Almost everyone doesn't do this, and no one should

Not a good idea

Just Say No.

Don't do it

So im guessing none of you read the first post... these two subs are as identical as it gets when it comes to specs aside from one being able to handle a little more juice. THIS IS TEMPORARY. 2 weeks at the most. The box was made custom for the W1s. One W1 remains on left and new W3 on right. I spoke to numerous audio shops in the area and they all said it would be stupid to buy a new box for the W3s since there box dimensions are soooo close. Nothing in my setup is ghetto i promise u. I have gotten over 8 years on my W1s and one is still kicking. I just wanted a little more clarification from some salty subwoofer professionals, in the hopes that they could give me some insight on the sound difference I'm hearing. I know 2 different subs is ghetto-- but again this is very temp and the subs are practically brothers by line.

Archived