Welding Wire.. Thoughts?

Awesome thanks for the posts. Only thing with me getting the 2/0 wire is i have 1/0 fuse holders but i can just trim the wire down the fit.

Yeah i dont need it super flexible its going in a straight line through the vehicle.

2004 Grand Marquis
AA Mayhem 18
Crescendo 3500d
6.5's AQ Pro Audio
AQ Super Tweets
Image Dynamics 6x9
Soundqubed 125.4
MB Quart 80.4
144.2 db

GONZO

2013 Chrysler 300S

Granite Crystal Metallic Exterior

Inferno Red Interior

5.7 HEMI AWD

LMI Air Hammer Intake

Corsa exhaust

Custom Tune

I'm running 1/0 flexible welding wire, the orange kind (forget mfg), and it has performed flawlessly. I have it fused at 300amps and everything is all good. I have to buy 2/0 lugs for the copper to fit to solder the lugs. The stuff is legit. I bought 65 ft of the stuff off Craiglist in Houston for 85 dollars. Couldn't pass that deal up. Running a second run and about to power strapped Q2200.1D's. Nothing wrong with the stuff... OFC is OFC. If you can pay attention to strand count and the gauge of the wires, typically 32 or 36ga copper, then your all good. Get less resistance with thinner strands... The only stuff I would definitely stay away from is the solid core wire...

I would have to be in one tough spot to drop 250.00 on a 50ft spool of 1/0! I don't care how pretty it looks and wrap Xmas presents with it. Plain and simple, I need it to function, and function it does...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Welding wire it is than.

Im gonna have a bunch of fruity colors going through the car haha orange, blue from SHCA, and green.

Spicin things up a bit lol

2004 Grand Marquis
AA Mayhem 18
Crescendo 3500d
6.5's AQ Pro Audio
AQ Super Tweets
Image Dynamics 6x9
Soundqubed 125.4
MB Quart 80.4
144.2 db

GONZO

2013 Chrysler 300S

Inferno Red Interior

5.7 HEMI AWD

LMI Air Hammer Intake

Corsa exhaust

Custom Tune

Welding wire it is than.

Im gonna have a bunch of fruity colors going through the car haha orange, blue from SHCA, and green.

Spicin things up a bit lol

Join the club man! I just ordered a bunch of 4ga from SHCA in Red and Blue, I think the Orange might clash a little bit! Oh darn, what to do??? I'm going to have an effin' rainbow in my car by the time I'm finished! lol. Yeah, it's not the prettiest, but think of what you can do with that extra 100-150 dollars? I'm not putting pictures of my car in a magazine, so all I care about is sound. Now, I do want my runs to look professional. If your going to run odd/different color wires, you should at least make them look nice and tidy! I used the 1/0 welding wire for my Big 3 with it as well... The most resistance I get is the + alt to + bat wire and it bounces from .2 to .3. Not bad at all. Everything else is at 0 or .1 for resistance on my grounds. Just an FYI...

2013 Toyota Camry SE

240a MechMan HO Alternator

1/0 Welding Flex Cable Big 3

CT Sounds 4000.1D

Kenwood XR400-4 Mid/High Amp

SoundQubed Q4-120 Mid Amp

Infinity Kappa 6.5 components

Kappa 6x9's for rear deck fill (coming out)

(4) 8" PRV 8MB450's

Set of SoundQubed SuperTweets

(2) DSS Ethos 12's D2's @32.5hz (building 4th order enclosure)

(2) SQ HDC3 10's @ 33.5hz (current build, loving them)

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

100 sq/ft Stinger RoadKill Sound Deadner

120 sq/ft QMat Sound Deadener

(4) Juice Box Black Cherries

Lots and Lots of feet of SHCA wire, along with 50' of Welding 1/0

2 Runs of 1/0 Positive front to back

ToolMaker Everywhere

Oh yeah i'll really have to run the wires good and make it clean

It's something you dont see everyday with car installs is different colored wires. You look at it and it makes you smile lol like nicccceee.

I currently have all my wire runned through my car but i just went ahead and ordered OFC wire.

I have all CCA wire when i couldnt afford OFC, or when i even knew about places to look and find deals on wire.

So basically just going throughout the car and upgrading what i have

2004 Grand Marquis
AA Mayhem 18
Crescendo 3500d
6.5's AQ Pro Audio
AQ Super Tweets
Image Dynamics 6x9
Soundqubed 125.4
MB Quart 80.4
144.2 db

GONZO

2013 Chrysler 300S

Inferno Red Interior

5.7 HEMI AWD

LMI Air Hammer Intake

Corsa exhaust

Custom Tune

Another thing I love about welding cable is how it will carry current up to 50' whereas car audio wire taps at out 20' before you're supposed to upgrade to the next size

A 14' run of 2 gauge welding cable will carry up to 250 amps

A 14' run of 1/0 gauge audio cable will carry 300 - 350 amps

My amp is rated for 180a

The pricing for 20' of 2 gauge welding cable is 37.10

20' run of 1/0 ofc is 72.80.

Damn near half the price with better ampacity capabilities??

Welding cable can't be beat

Another thing I love about welding cable is how it will carry current up to 50' whereas car audio wire taps at out 20' before you're supposed to upgrade to the next size

My amp is rated for 180a

some of that information may or may not be true.

the "good" car audio wiring, such as from sky high or knukoncepts, is oversized wire. this means that the car audio 1/0 wire, is equal to a 2/0 welding wire. and the car audio 2/0 wire, is equal to the 4/0 welding cable.

those stats you posted, i disagree with them. there is no way a welding 1/0 will carry 350 amps at 14 feet without a voltage drop of over 5%. I bet even cold you will drop 1 volt. after heat youd probably be looking at a 1.5 volt drop.

generally a 1/0 good brand car audio wire or 2/0 welding is good for a relaible 300 amps with minimal drop after heat at around 15 feet.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

My amp is rated for 180a

some of that information may or may not be true.

the "good" car audio wiring, such as from sky high or knukoncepts, is oversized wire. this means that the car audio 1/0 wire, is equal to a 2/0 welding wire. and the car audio 2/0 wire, is equal to the 4/0 welding cable.

those stats you posted, i disagree with them. there is no way a welding 1/0 will carry 350 amps at 14 feet without a voltage drop of over 5%. I bet even cold you will drop 1 volt. after heat youd probably be looking at a 1.5 volt drop.

generally a 1/0 good brand car audio wire or 2/0 welding is good for a relaible 300 amps with minimal drop after heat at around 15 feet.

Ampacity.gif

the car audio cable is oversized due to more strands of copper inside the jacket thus making it more flexible, and the od increases because of that

I have never seen anyone tie knots in their audio cable, so that point is pretty null to me. And your statement is very untrue

Copper is copper. 1/0 welding cable is equivalent to 1/0 audio cable, yet carries current up to 50'

2/0 welding is equal to 1/0 audio in OD. 2/0 welding cable blows 1/0 audio out of the water when it comes to current tho.

Sounds like a winner to me. Smaller wire, making it easier to run throughout your car, and far better stats for HALF the price?!

Can't believe I didn't stumble across the welding cable sooner. All that money wasted on Car Audio cable ;-(

Archived