Second Skin Audio

Reasonable Power Handling for a 1.5" Voice Coil

I clamped it. about 15 volts and almost 3 amps. Comes out to about 45 watts. The amp is an old rockford power series 451s. Puts out 115 watts per channel at 4 ohms so at 460 it's rated at 460 watts. The signal was clean. I said I've checked the output of my ipod on an ocsope to see if it clips with 0db tones and it does not. I've also checked my HU and it doesn't start clipping till like volume 30 and I was at 20. So my signal was clean for sure. The gain on the amp basically acts as a pre amp for the rca signal. The amp will output a certain volume at a certain input voltage. You can buffer the input voltage with the gain knob. But the gain is not going to clip the signal unless you're already asking the amp to output too much.

As proof of this assertion, as once again I previously stated, I wasn't running it as a sub, just a midbass/midrange, so if it was to be clipping you would hear it. I know a decent bit about the nitty gritty of amps and subs so I think I know enough to not clip.

Subs = 2x Rockford Fosgate p110's in custom ported box

Amp = Rockford Fosgate 451s (115 watts rms x 2 into 4 ohms)

Rear = Sony xplod 6.5 coaxials (they were on clearance at target :D )

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Wire = some 8 gauge crap my friend gave me

head unit = an older alpine

I'M POOR OK :(

You really think you can hear distortion in frequencies below 100hz? The human ear is not capable of hearing harmonic distortion under 10% under 100Hz. Heck 1% harmonic distortion doesn't become audible to the human ear till around 400hz than the higher the frequency the easier it is to hear distortion around the 1%.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Harmonic distortion doesn't hurt speakers, it just sounds bad. Clipping is what does it. And if you guys would actually read the thread, for the last time: I WASN'T RUNNING IT AS A SUB. It's a 6.5" "subwoofer" but it also works well as a midbass driver. I had a highpass at about 120ish hz to prevent mechanical problems.

I'm just trying to figure out if (1) kicker is sh!t like I think it is anyways. (2) whether I or the previous owner did something nasty to it early on that's reduced it's power handling or (3) whether the power rating was just blown way out of proportions by kicker.

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Can you please come tune my amps for me so I can sell my dd-1 and Oscope for some extra cash on great one

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

I'm not saying I'm an expert or anything. I'm saying I have an oscope, a clamp meter, and an analog multi-meter. I know my stuff fairly well. Well enough to know I wasn't clipping. I've run the same speaker inside on a pro audio amp that pushes about 150 watts per channel x 4. Same deal, the sub started stinking at about half volume. Which I've also clamped what I was giving it then and it comes out to around the same power as what happened in the car.

Any ideas MrSkippyJ? Maybe voice coil rub? Would that affect the power handling?

Front = Soundstorm 6.5's

Archived