Sundown Audio

Amp Went into protect mode and started smoking

adreano17

My 4ch amp worked perfectly for over a year (Polk Audio PA D4000.4). Got in car heard a whine noise. It got progressively louder as I drove down the road. Then I smelled that electronic cooking smell. Pulled over and pulled the fuse. Did some troubleshooting between yesterday and today, and am stumped.

It does NOT go into protect mode when:

Speaker leads are in

nothing connected except for power, ground and Remote

when RCAs are connected and all channels are connected except the one channel that went haywire.

it DOES go into protect when:

RCAs are connected.

when RCAs are connected and all channels are NOT connected except the one channel that went haywire.

I switched to a ground that is BEEFY. Straight to the chassis. Sanded down, good solid connection. Still the results do not change.

Like I said, this just came out of nowhere...and I am baffled behind it. My next step is to try some other RCA cables. Hopefully this is the cause, but I am not sure. Will continue with some more variables today when I get off work, but want some input. I need you guy's help....Please. Thanks in advance.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

Ohm or RMS?

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

Try taking your current rca cable out and inspect it for crushed areas that have been slightly pinched

your title says smoke.... when and where did this happen??

From his reply of

"ohm or rms?"

I feel he is going to tell us what OHM the speakers are.

Not what i ment.

I think you have a bad channel. Its either in the amp, or, after the amp, and one of the speakers. If the amp protects with NO speaker wires hooked up, its the amp.

If it does with speaker loads, it could be a bad speaker(s)

That said, a smoking amp, is NEVER good, and, i feel you may be purchasing a new amp.

Try taking your current rca cable out and inspect it for crushed areas that have been slightly pinched

your title says smoke.... when and where did this happen??

This happened when the noise from the speaker started getting louder. Almost like an alternator whine but not really, since it doesn't depend on RPM. But it does in fact sound like the whine of a bad ground.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

a slight short anywhere can cause all kinds of electrical spikes and drops all over the place, even to your speaker.

It sounds like your amp took most of the electric shit and pooped smoke when the chinese components couldnt take anymore

The amp is likely toasted and a big fire hazard if its still playing

Inspect that rca cable before more damage is done or if you get a new amp, you dont want that ruined too

If it started smoking, the chances are that it won't continue to work but I have seen a few class D full range amps lose some smoke and still work. Although, never to their full capacity.

You need to connect an mp3 player to the amp via an RCA cable other than the one in your car and see if it still goes into protect. If it does, the problem is internal and it's no good. If not, then you can possibly replace the offending RCA cable and continue to use the amp.

And a note about grounds... if you have a bad ground that eventually causes the smoke to get evicted from your amp, making it good after the smoke isn't gonna help much. At least, not for the amp that got whacked....

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived