Sonic Electronix

Need help with running RCA's from HU with 1 connection to multiple AMP's

I am about to have 3 amps, 1 for my subwoofers and 2 for mids and highs.

AMPS- 2x Skar Audio LP-60.4AB 4 channel

1x Kicker ZX1500.1D Mono

My Dual HU only has 1 set of ports for RCA's

So i figure i would need this http://www.audiocontrol.com/14164/products/DISCONTINUED----The-Matrix-Six-Channel-Car-Audio-Line-Driver.html

Now i want to know if splitting the single RCA cord (input/output) from head unit into 3 sets of RCA's into that audio matrix will work. I already own the Audio matrix so i would like to use it

Again this is for wiring 3 amplifiers. I am in uncharted territory so i dont know. Ive tried doing the research but google links just say SLAP A 'Y' SPLITTER IN THERE AND YOUR GOOD TO GO (as far as i know Y splitters are no good for voltage)

Replies are appreciated very much

Thanks to the SMD community for helping me when stuck, you guys rock!

EDIT: Anything i need to know about distribution blocks? For the skar amps i want to run one power cable to the battery and then run that into a distribution block so i have 2 power cables for each amp. Is this a good idea?

What are the preamps for on the HU? Rear? Sub?

I'd recommend spending a little on a new higher quality HU with 3 sets of preamp outputs, but that's me.

Ever though about using a 4-channel LOC to gain the extra RCA's?

Honestly, first thing I'd do is take the money you'd put towards a line driver and spend it on a new head unit with three sets of outputs. Never heard of Dual being great quality anyway.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

You spent all that money but run a busted ass dual head unit.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Way back when most head units didn't have more than one set of preamps, I ran something pretty similar with some success. I ran the one set of preamps into a crossover that split my highs from my sub. From there I had the high pass filter on my door/deck speakers, and the low pass filter split off to two crossfire cfa 602's running a stroker 18. It would work since you already have everything, but I'd save up for a decent head unit for sure.

Should be just fine, though a Pioneer DEH-80PRS can be had within your budget and some would say it'd be a better choice.

However, what all is it you are seeking from the new HU, besides higher quality than the Dual and three sets of preamps.

Believe crutchfield has a couple Kenwood KDC-X997's open box special for $220. I just got one, freaking awesome. Made an enormous difference over the junk I had in the dash before with no other changes, massive improvement in bass, and clearer mids and highs.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived