Noise Violation - Georgia

Well this is a good one and a first for me but I got a call from an old College buddy of mine whom I haven't spoken to in years. He knows that I am into the car audio scene and figured I'd be the best person to ask for help. He recently received a ticket while driving through Pike County for Noise. Cop said his system was too loud and could be heard at a substantial distance. The only issue with this is the car is 100% stock front to back no nothing. It is a 2014 Toyota Corolla, so unless Toyota has a bangin' stock system I find this very hard to believe. My friend is going to fight it but asked me to get him the correct terms and phrases he should use in his case so I am hoping some of you who are familiar with Georgia law and more specifically Pike County as that is where he received it.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Hes going to have to find the noise ordinance code for where he was when it happened time of day etc. Was he blasting the stereo?

Have him take pictures of his stock stereo. Take them to court. Maybe get a statement from his dealer saying the car is completely stock and nevwr been changed.

one of the best stories ive heard regarding fighting this is to find out what the distance is and then gonstand that far away and ask the judge if he can hear you. Considering most are 50 feet or something like that its not hard and shows how ridiculous that law is

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Hes going to have to find the noise ordinance code for where he was when it happened time of day etc. Was he blasting the stereo?

Have him take pictures of his stock stereo. Take them to court. Maybe get a statement from his dealer saying the car is completely stock and nevwr been changed.

one of the best stories ive heard regarding fighting this is to find out what the distance is and then gonstand that far away and ask the judge if he can hear you. Considering most are 50 feet or something like that its not hard and shows how ridiculous that law is

I told him to find a secluded area and get the noise ordinance distance and then use a camera to record the distance from his car using the same song at the same volume and keep walking until he can't hear and then measure it. He said it's 100ft (I asked him to double check that) he started doing some research on it. He was on his way home so some time after 530pm. I will have him get pics of it and tell him to talk to the dealer about the letter. I figure even if he is blasting it the cop was stationary in his cruiser in a commercial driveway so how far away could he really have heard him?

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Not to thread jack. Where I live In Georgia Cops or on loud Music like flys on shit. Back to topic. Do what N-8 said. Because I would fight that being a factory radio. What's next ticket for the factory tent on new car too? Best of luck for your friend I hope he wins his case ....

Not to thread jack. Where I live In Georgia Cops or on loud Music like flys on shit. Back to topic. Do what N-8 said. Because I would fight that being a factory radio. What's next ticket for the factory tent on new car too? Best of luck for your friend I hope he wins his case ....

Where are you at? I am trying to get an idea of how strict they are up there. Hoping I can talk with "Will" (Lol) since he lives up that way.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

they make the laws vague enough that basically you are at the mercy of the judge and officer... the law isnt based on an measurable decibel level... it's purely a judgment call by the ticketing officer... I'm sure a stock radio could be deemed audible at 50 feet... If he was within city limits this could also factor against him. couple links-

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Georgia-Laws-and-Codes.htm

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/atlanta.htm

they make the laws vague enough that basically you are at the mercy of the judge and officer... the law isnt based on an measurable decibel level... it's purely a judgment call by the ticketing officer... I'm sure a stock radio could be deemed audible at 50 feet... If he was within city limits this could also factor against him. couple links-

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Georgia-Laws-and-Codes.htm

http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/atlanta.htm

Thanks man!

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

I'm not jumping on either band wagon. Just making points.

1) it's not relevant that the stereo is "stock". The Corolla's "stock" engine is capable of producing enough power to make it travel faster than the posted speed limit. So any car with "stock" engines can't get speeding tickets? Come on, seriously? put that one to rest now.

2) Don't bring any other manufacturer added features onto the car into the mix. Car makers know what they can and cant put on vehicles from the factory. And in the rare occasions that an ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER'S option is on a vehicle that the owner has NO CONTROL OVER there are provisions built into the laws. For example, tints and mufflers and even spoilers. You have control over your volume knob and your accelerator pedal.

3) The court will leave the burden of proof on the ticketed party. The officer's testimony will make or break the ticket. If he knows how to word things your buddy is screwed no matter what "evidence" he brings in. If it's a good judge he may even ask to go outside and hear the car. And if that's the case what he/she will do is pick a popular radio station and turn it up as loud as they want, not where your buddy says, and make a decision based on that. Southern states don't seem to put up with these types of violations.

I know it's the "principal" behind it, but if it's not a moving violations and just an ordinance violation has your buddy just considered cutting his loses here and just paying the ticket in stead of the possibility of the ticket + court fees?

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I'm not jumping on either band wagon. Just making points.

1) it's not relevant that the stereo is "stock". The Corolla's "stock" engine is capable of producing enough power to make it travel faster than the posted speed limit. So any car with "stock" engines can't get speeding tickets? Come on, seriously? put that one to rest now.

2) Don't bring any other manufacturer added features onto the car into the mix. Car makers know what they can and cant put on vehicles from the factory. And in the rare occasions that an ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER'S option is on a vehicle that the owner has NO CONTROL OVER there are provisions built into the laws. For example, tints and mufflers and even spoilers. You have control over your volume knob and your accelerator pedal.

3) The court will leave the burden of proof on the ticketed party. The officer's testimony will make or break the ticket. If he knows how to word things your buddy is screwed no matter what "evidence" he brings in. If it's a good judge he may even ask to go outside and hear the car. And if that's the case what he/she will do is pick a popular radio station and turn it up as loud as they want, not where your buddy says, and make a decision based on that. Southern states don't seem to put up with these types of violations.

I know it's the "principal" behind it, but if it's not a moving violations and just an ordinance violation has your buddy just considered cutting his loses here and just paying the ticket in stead of the possibility of the ticket + court fees?

He wants to fight it off the principle that the cop pulled him over because he is young black with Florida plates (Most likely thinking he's a dope boy, it's common around here for them to travel up that way to Atlanta). I don't know if it's a race thing but it happened in a small city so I don't doubt it could be. Let's be real here how loud could a stock stereo on a corolla really be? I doubt the thing has a factory amplified system and if it's just HU how far outside of the car could it really be heard? He passed the officer stationary the officer heard the music as he passed by and decided to be an ass. I defend officers on a lot of things but on this I can't because I seriously think this was downright wrong. He is more than likely going to lose but I am just in shock it could happen. As for the engine notion the cop said the same thing (funny you mention it my friend said that while telling his story) but car makers put limiters to keep the car from going it's top speed and most cap out at 110 anyway. I have never actually heard someone getting a ticket for noise with a stock car.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Um my car isnt capped at 110.

I heard.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived