Sundown Audio

What is your thought? Amp wired DOWN, sounds....... meh?

Kyblack76

Big difference in quality at .35 now I lost low end freq pounds in 40 hz range but all music sounds same everything u said about dampening an sn plus slew rate is true when I ran 8-ks at .7 compared to [email protected] it did same numbers but 4 sounded lair better an ran kooler

With the four amps you souned way cleaner almost SQ status lol

I know at those levels, its odd to say anything sounds better, or worse. But, if your a true nut at this shit, and you listen to some songs 20 times, in a day........ A true audio retard, can, and will hear a difference fast.

Its like when you drive a vehicle for 14 years. You know that fucking thing, inside, and out. That squeek is the muffler mount. But THAT new squeek is worth looking into.

Why is it running 4 degrees hotter than normal? Im sure i could go on for days, but those that know..... just know... :shrug:

I've never wired below impedance but I know that I have wire d4 subs at 8&2 ohm. Then I've wired 2 d4 @ 4&1ohm.

with that being said at a lower impedance it was louder with out a doubt. Not a whole lot of difference in sound though. Still played music just as well.

so maybe what is going on is that the amp is under so much more stress being below what its rated at that its just not able to keep up musically. Pushing the amp so hard to deliver power might be robbing it of its higher quality?

reading this thread seeing that people running below impedance can end up with a less then wanted musical sound makes me happy that I decided to go with 2 t1500.1bdco @ 2ohms. Still 1500 rms each but with less stress on the amps and electrical then a t2500.1bdcp at 1ohm. Sure the 2500 could have put out closer to 3300rms but at a higher amperage draw meaning more stress on the electrical and amp.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

This is my findings.

I have heard systems, wired low, that sounded fucking great. Didnt get hot, pulled fine amperage for where they where at.

everyones experiance may very.........

i do know, what i hear in mine. Glad to hear im not full retard..lol....

Yeah SQ is generally better the higher you wire, and starts to fly completely out the window under 1 ohm. This is obviously dependent on equipment and install, but generally speaking it's safe to say. Just like components at 8 ohm will sound better than the same at 2. Korean power is so damn expensive for higher ohm loads though. That's a big reason why those JBL/Crown amps and the Warhorse are so nice. Also, Brazilian are there, but they have their own set of issues.

I guess that's a bit besides the point though. IMO, you can definitely tell if something is wired low, .5 or under. Most (again, most. Not everyone) of those who say it sounds great don't really know what they should be listening for, or it's so damn loud (and possibly slightly distorted) that it doesn't matter. Rise is worth mentioning only as far as you might be a little higher overall than what you're wired to. It's pretty funny when someone says they rise to 1.2 ohms or whatever on music. Oh really? Across all the entire bandwidth? Come on buddy.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

This is my findings.

I have heard systems, wired low, that sounded fucking great. Didnt get hot, pulled fine amperage for where they where at.

everyones experiance may very.........

i do know, what i hear in mine. Glad to hear im not full retard..lol....

My whole outlook on this is that, when an amp that is not really meant to handle that low of a resistance, its going to struggle. When an amp that can handle the low resistance without struggling, will play fine. I mean its always nice to have an amp that will play on a lower resistance so it can put out more power, but when it starts to mess with the quality of the sound enough where you notice it, I wouldn't do it. Thats just my whole outlook on the subject, not saying playing low resistance is bad, but its good to have the sound quality there.

2000 Ford Focus ZX3

Mods:

Raceland Coilovers

Borla Exhaust

Aftermarket Header

System:

Sony CDX-GT66UPW

Pioneer 6x8's

System Upgrades :

Pioneer MVH-X560BT

2 sets of Rockford Fosgate P1683's

Fi Audio Q 18" D2 ( Currently Own)

DD M1C ( Currently Own)

All SHCA Wires and stuff...

XS Power 4800 ( Stock Replacement)

High Ouput alternator (undecided which company or Amperage.)

Damping factor.

The lower the impedance, the less control the amplifier has on the accuracy of the frequencies produced. This is why anyone seeking to run a SQ oriented setup would NEVER wire for a low impedance. Running at a low impedance is purely for SPL setups, nothing more. I myself would never recommend running below 2 ohms unless the user were seeking SPL over all else.

Well,

I wont go THAT far. This is a ground pounder / spl rig first and foremost.

Wired at 2ohm nominal, it would be extremly hard to see power from ANY amplifier ....

What i gained at .35 nominal, rising to almost and over 1ohm here and there, to me, wasnt worth the .9 on the meter.

Subs never been hotter, amps thermaling fast.

Want i love about a system? Is relabilty. First and foremost. If you cant play, you cant even be on the meter.....

When i get 4 more amps, and see .7, i feel ill be at the best of all worlds. :)

Archived