Sundown Audio

How reliable is setting gain with a multimeter?

csermonet47

Setting the gain by ear can be quite accurate, just as much so as an overly priced DD-1 or high cost O-Scope. The key is to use test tones to set the gain, however, this method can potentially damage any drivers asked to play said test tone, not to mention anyone's unprotected ears. With a test tone, one can clearly hear when the pitch of the tone changes, indicating the onset of distortion (before actually clipping). I strongly recommend having a helper if using this method and have then begin playback when you are at the amplifier ready to set the gain. I also encourage the used of hearing protection. Again, even with ear plugs, one can clearly hear when the sound of the test tone changes.

This method should take not more than 10 seconds from once the playback of the test tone begins. If you are taking longer than that, you're taking too long and are increasing the chance of damage (be it mechanical or thermal) to any drivers playing the tone.

Using music to set the gains on the other hand is a horrible idea, music can already have areas of distortion and clipping in it, not to mention with all the different frequencies being played at once, it's quite difficult to hear when distortion begins. Sure, full out clipping can be heard, but the onset of distortion can be next to impossible for even the best trained ear.

After the DMM method, you can use your ears and play with the gain until you find a good spot.

I would not waste money on an amplifier for rear soeakers. Those won't help the sound quality in your car.

It's my personnal taste, I don't like when the music comes form the back.

Main reason for that amp was to be able to run those speakers through a HPF, currently they are getting the full spectrum and I can hear them distort at high volumes. I am going to try playing with the EQ and readjusting my gains in the mean time.

Has anyone heard of people renting their DD1 out via shipping? Like the renter could send paypal money for shipping both ways, and include extra for the rental fee..could even send like $100 total as collateral and then the tool owner sends a bit back when he receives his DD1

I could see maybe someone renting one out in a similar manor, but I can assure you that unless you know the person personally, they are not going to be willing to take less than the cost of a new DD1 as collateral.

Setting the gain by ear can be quite accurate, just as much so as an overly priced DD-1 or high cost O-Scope. The key is to use test tones to set the gain, however, this method can potentially damage any drivers asked to play said test tone, not to mention anyone's unprotected ears. With a test tone, one can clearly hear when the pitch of the tone changes, indicating the onset of distortion (before actually clipping). I strongly recommend having a helper if using this method and have then begin playback when you are at the amplifier ready to set the gain. I also encourage the used of hearing protection. Again, even with ear plugs, one can clearly hear when the sound of the test tone changes.

This method should take not more than 10 seconds from once the playback of the test tone begins. If you are taking longer than that, you're taking too long and are increasing the chance of damage (be it mechanical or thermal) to any drivers playing the tone.

Using music to set the gains on the other hand is a horrible idea, music can already have areas of distortion and clipping in it, not to mention with all the different frequencies being played at once, it's quite difficult to hear when distortion begins. Sure, full out clipping can be heard, but the onset of distortion can be next to impossible for even the best trained ear.

The only issue with this is..... you don't hear the first initial distortion and clipping, you only hear it when it heavily clips.

People who still think setting by ear is ok are either ignorant, or stuck in the stone age.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Someone's high as giraffe dick.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Human ears can't hear square waves, you're just plain wrong on this one. Setting gains the way you mentioned is risky and could cause equipment to fail.

Getting the voltage from the SOURCE matched with the gain pot of the amp is the whole idea of setting gains.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Whatever. I've used test tones for setting gains for a few years now without ever having any issues. Seems to work out just fine for me and everyone's install I do. Some day I may finally get my hands on a DD-1 or O-scope and check such for myself, but thus far, I seem to be good. If you guys wish to suck Meade's cock and bloat about the DD-1 so much, go for it. There are much cheaper ways to effectively detect distortion.

At least once a week we seam to have this argument. I quit trying to save people's equipment from their bad tuning practices. If someone wants to spend a couple grand on amps and speakers, but won't cough up less than $200 for a DD1, let'em fry their shit.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived