Second Skin Audio

reinforcing aero ports

ive worked with aeros on several occasions, and have always found it useful to reinforce them due to how flimsy they are. it always seems to play louder, and produces cleaner sound. my preferred method for reinforcing them is to assemble them without any adhesives, and heavily sandblast the outsides with a very rough blast media. after that, i install in the enclosure and connect the joints with pvc glue after scuffing the bonding surfaces, and then once installed i like to fiberglass the outsides of the tube and flares with a heavy layer of chopmat. this seems to make the ports VERY strong, and they absolutely will not flex after this.

any of you other guys do this? i got the idea from alan dante back when we were hangin' out at world finals '06 and it really makes a difference in my experience.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Since you fiberglass the aero port, do you put like a wooden brace around the port still?

2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby

HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED):

-Interior & Exterior Lights LED

-Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED)

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear)

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

-Custom Painted Engine Covers

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

if I do it's with a brace in the middle of the straight piece. I cut a piece of MDF that's 2" wider than the tube than but out a hole the size of the tube than mount that piece to the enclosure. I put some CA jel before slipping it to the center.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I have seen another guy, forgot where I saw it, who wrapped the tube with a sheet of sound deadener than wrapped over that with duct tape. I wrap my tubes of caulk and silicone with duct tape to help minimize the excess after you stop pulling the trigger.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Archived