14v and 16v systems

I got into a conversation with someone today and the convo steered toward car audio/electrical. He said he wanted to run his amp on a 14v system and asked me how to do it. I told him I didn't know but I could look it up. I know the going phrase is "if you have to ask how to run a 14v/16v system, you probably shouldn't do it", but I want to get some I do and get back to him. I know there are two ways of running a 14v system, a 16v alt with a step down, voltage reg and...isolator?. Not sure. The other, run the 16v alt on a different electrical run than the car electrical. On this would all negatives ground to the frame or no? Anything I'm missing? I would like to learn the basics for future reference in case anyone ask. As for myself, I'll stick with 12v haha. TIA

2001 Saturn L200
-Sony MEX-BT4100P
FRONT STAGE:
- (4) Crescendo PWX 6
- Cadence XA250.2
SUB STAGE:
-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)
-Crescendo BC2k
ELECTRICAL:
- Singer 240A alt

- XS Power D3400
- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire
- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gauge
Build Log: Click Here

Scores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw

Kinda in the same boat here. I don't see myself running 14V on my car, but I'm curious.

Taking a shot in the dark (not giving advice, just curious what the Pro's respond with) I'd venture to say one method would be a dual alt setup, running independant wiring straight to the amps, that way the stock alt drives the stock electrics and the HO alt drives the audio. I don't see any major issue with grounding the HO alt and the amps to the frame same as everything else, but then again I am just spitballing here.

In for the experts.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Most reliable way I think would be to keep separate charging systems. For example have 2 or more alternators, 1 running the 12v side (car) and another running either the 14v or 16v side. But it will be different from car to car

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

also keep in mind a 14 volt system charges at 16.8 ish volts and a 16 volt system charges at 18+ volts

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

Had to explain this to someone the other day. People don't realize that you already have a 14v system in your vehicle and adding 14v batteries will make it a 16v system and 16v batteries will make it an 18v system.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

You have to be careful going to a 14v system, mainly because the vehicles electronics are built to go up to 14.4v or maybe a bit higher, depending on the vehicle.

Your fuel pump won't 16v

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived