Sonic Electronix

what would you like to see?

In car audio, ever one is always learning. There is no truly right or wrong way just the safe way.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I was a saleman in an audiostore for several years, awesome job.... part of the job is teaching car audio to customer so they gain an understanding of car audio in general (not an easy thing todo) specially not for what a salesman gets paid in the industry. I would always give them ideas/suggestions on what would make there system, sound better, get louder, and just be stronger in general...... never say you need to buy this or that amp you have is crap ect.... they, the customer has come to you for help....... help them

shops need better customers. I laugh at some of the guys that come into my place acting like they know stuff than bitch about prices. shops prices are not high, people just don't understand how to keep a brick and mortar store open. everyone thinks that it only takes a couple minutes to do anything. i had a guy the other day walk in 1 hour before we closed bitching about why I can't take his car in right now for a double din video unit install with an amp and 2 12s in a prefab sealed box. he tried telling me that the shop down the street could do it or his friend could do it. i told the guy that I will just set him an appointment like everyone else. i see all the other local shops around me that tell the customer whatever the customer wants to hear just to get a sale. I laugh at all these people and shops that say they can install a radio faster than me especially on a vehicle that I know takes extra time. I keep customer b/c of those shops. I quote 2-3 hours for radio installs all the time, all the local shops/installers/forum nut huggers all say they can do a better job than me and faster time. I get more customers that come back to have me do the job the right way. too many customers don't understand that shops need to pay their installers labor for their work and still make money to pay other employees and rent and other overhead cost. There's a reason it's almost $100 for a radio install or even more depending on the vehicle. i get customer that even call asking for help on their install like I'm their tech support. I tell those guys they can come in and pay for my knowledge and let me do the install or you can go back to the internet and google that. i get tons of guys who get all motivated by the internet that they can do it their self than find out they can't and wonder why I'm now going to charge them more, it's because I now have to un-fuck your car before I can do a real install in it. shops are in business to make money not teach you or be your tech support.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

shops need better customers. I laugh at some of the guys that come into my place acting like they know stuff than bitch about prices. shops prices are not high, people just don't understand how to keep a brick and mortar store open. everyone thinks that it only takes a couple minutes to do anything. i had a guy the other day walk in 1 hour before we closed bitching about why I can't take his car in right now for a double din video unit install with an amp and 2 12s in a prefab sealed box. he tried telling me that the shop down the street could do it or his friend could do it. i told the guy that I will just set him an appointment like everyone else. i see all the other local shops around me that tell the customer whatever the customer wants to hear just to get a sale. I laugh at all these people and shops that say they can install a radio faster than me especially on a vehicle that I know takes extra time. I keep customer b/c of those shops. I quote 2-3 hours for radio installs all the time, all the local shops/installers/forum nut huggers all say they can do a better job than me and faster time. I get more customers that come back to have me do the job the right way. too many customers don't understand that shops need to pay their installers labor for their work and still make money to pay other employees and rent and other overhead cost. There's a reason it's almost $100 for a radio install or even more depending on the vehicle. i get customer that even call asking for help on their install like I'm their tech support. I tell those guys they can come in and pay for my knowledge and let me do the install or you can go back to the internet and google that. i get tons of guys who get all motivated by the internet that they can do it their self than find out they can't and wonder why I'm now going to charge them more, it's because I now have to un-fuck your car before I can do a real install in it. shops are in business to make money not teach you or be your tech support.

I agree with most of that, but you're acting like you are the only guy in the entire U.S. that can install car audio properly. Also, it seems as though you treat your customers as peasants.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

I wouldn't try charge them for your time, just explain if they fuck it up they have no warrenty, if they pay the shop to do it they will have warrenty, that usually gets the customers to spend the lil bit extra...... totally understand were u are cumming from tho, I used to have 5 to 6 people that would come into my store DAILY to just learn and ask questions about audio/electrical/installs/ new products ect........... they would prob take up 1 to 3 hours per day and not buy anything (and were total muppets with no mates)

Imo, if one of your customers or anyone in your area saw that post they wouldn't go to you.

You sound arrogant, cocky, and like you think of your customer as a profit and not a person.

No one here is saying to hand out info to help the do it yourselfers. Offer them the knowledge on why it should be done a certain way by a trained professional. If a customers says the shop down the street can do it faster tell them that you guys could but choose to take your time in order to insure that the job is done 100% without shortcuts. Promoted your business with out shitting on the other while telling the customer to get a job done 100% with out taking the easy way out takes time. You informed them while maintaining a positive attitude and friendly invoriment. Just gained a return customer and a mouth to spread the word.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

^^ was always very careful when I was in the game......... we were lucky to have the only store within 700km that sold decent car audio. you don't tell a customer that you choose to take longer to do a job, you tell them how long it will take as an estimate (never give an actual time) and that you wont cut corners. also any person that walks into an audiostore should be sold something.... or else they wouldn't have walked in to start with.

i'd like to see how you would treat me if I came to your store and started asking 100s and 100s of questions and then walk out and not buy anything from you.

Sure if they are asking questions that will give them the knowledge to do it their self don't give them the answers just play it off with a well if you don't feel comfortable with it we have great installers with the exp and knowledge needed for the job.

If people come in askng questions and not buying chances are they want something they can't afford. Let them window shop and give generic answers to questions that would take business from you.

The knowledge you give the should be stuff like, the definition of clipping, the true purpose of gain, how boost can have a poor effect on a system. If a customer guys a 2k amp and 2 15" but wants the cheapest no you have tell them, hey this box wont do good for those subs. This box is more for lower end entry level subs. The ones you want wont let you put those subs to their fullest potential. If they still want the cheap box sell it to them.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

You do tell them you choose to estimate for a longer time needed for the installer. And you tell them its so your installers have the needed time to do a proper install with out taking shortcuts that could potentially lead to future issues.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Archived