Sonic Electronix

what would you like to see?

Sitting back thinking about what I would like to see local shops offer or do and was wondering what others would say.

I personally would like to see shops offer more knowledge. Not as in how to do installs since they would loose customers then. Instead knowledge on how big amps on stick electrical isn't good, what clipping is, how placement of speakers can have a bigger effect on sq then the amount you spend. Can't forget that people like using "free" music which often enough will have poor quality and itself coil be clipping.

What are your thoughts?

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

My local shops have some damned decent installers, but suffer from one or more of a few issues:

1. Idiot management

2. Idiot salesmen

3. Crazy high prices

4. Questionable (in my mind) install practices to save time

5. Close minded people that ONLY want to sell the shit they carry. What I mean is, if you bring a car to them with a problem, rather than try to diagnose it they'll just bully you to yank out your equipment and install theirs, like their shit is golden and anything you didn't get from them is automatically crap.

I just wish shops were run by people that loved car audio, not assholes trying to squeeze money out of every customer. I mean, I'm realistic, I know they gotta make a buck to keep the lights on, but I feel that somewhere along the way they forgot why they got into car audio in the first place.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Car audio shops font need salesman. They need enthusiasts that can share the excitement for car audio with its customers. The Installers should deal directly with their customer

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

local shops with a variety of brands....

Tired of being pushed crap products that they know is crap because the margin is high, no you're not going to tell me an amp can put out 20Kwatts just because it has chrome lettering on it. And the fact that I go in the store and it looks like a Memphis or JL or Rockford factory store is ridiculous, I get it all those companies and a TON of companies make good products but I am not going to build my entire system around one company...except Image Dynamics...maybe...I mean I probably could but wouldn't...or shouldn't.

Also salesmen that actually have an idea about what they are talking about. If I have another 12 year old tell me "see these things are awesome, BAM! SHITS LOUD RIGHT!!?!" I may freak out on someone. And if that same 12 year old sells shit to someone and then never talks to installer and then as a customer I see that same customer is stuck in the middle because the salemen sold the dude something that the installer KNOWS won't work, thats super irritating too. Talk to your people. I mean this shit even as a bystander is frustrating.

(its hard being an angry old man sometimes)

The few places around here need to understand what the whole world car audio is. It's much more than putting a 10 in everyone's car. Though, most shops go out of business within a few years because there is just no demand, and they can't keep up with Best Buy. The thing that bothers me the most is how naive everybody is, and I blame places like Best Buy. I've done a few install for my friends, and the reactions that people give them are "Wow, that's insane. That's the loudest thing I've ever heard" Then they see my tuck and shit their pants. Kids have been brainwashed into thinking that two 12's is the biggest baddest thing going.

As much as I want all of that to change, it's a lot of fun to dick around with the shitheads at Best Buy.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Shops have to have their products with good margins. However they have to carry products for everyone. If you have 100 customers and 1 of them you can't help because you can't offer them a product that will fit them you don't lose one customer you lose him and a good amount of his friends and so on.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

I agree the sales people need to knowledgeable. I work at a pawn shop that is also half car stereo shop. We don't do installs but we very smart and don't hand out false information. We piss off local shops that don't do proper installation because we don't sugar coat when an install is to blame for equipment failure, I always tell people before they pick a shop for installation to ask them how they are gonnna tune the amplifiers and if they don't say oscilloscope or dd1 to run away. We also see the need to have equipment for every budget because even though we are an authorized sundown and digital designs dealer not everyone is looking for a pair of 9500's and a M4. We stock some other brands and cheaper stuff for people on a budget as well. Plus the benefit of being a pawn shop is we have a grip of nice used equipment at really good prices. I think if you really wanted to you could find fault with almost any shop for one reason or another. We don't do installs so people come to us for equipment and get frustrated they can't have it installed here. We have a local shop we refer people to for installation so it's not a huge deal but people like a one stop shop. One of the local shops here does what some of you are talking about when you want your system looked at because something is wrong they don't want to fix it they want to sell you new stuff. Plus they try screwing us when we sell some used equipment to a customer that they stock new and the customer goes to them to have it installed they always say the equipment is bad so they can sell them the stuff new and the poor customer is caught in the middle.

Things I don't like about most shops

1. Selling products that don't truly meet what the customer is asking for.

2. Salesman dealing with the customer

3. Salesman that sell the wrong product to the customer and blames the installer

4. Not offering the services needed to truly maximize any setup

5. Not promoting the industry

What I think should be done

1. Sell the customers what will meet their demands. If their funds are tight tell them what you can give them for their budget might not be up to par with what they want. Tell them what you can do with the budget and what steps they can make upgrading their system to get what they want.

2.the installers should deal dire tly with the customer whose car they are working on. A good installer can better understand the customer if they work with them. Salesman don't know the install see of car audio and often don't sell everything needed for an install. Less chance of that happening.

3. If a customer is asking to get loud sell them what they need to be loud nit what makes the most profit.

4. Very few shops even mention deadener or electrical. How can a customer get the most spl with weak electrical? Or the best sq without deadener and ccf?

5. Promote the industry, car shows, competitions, and even car shows to raise money for schools or other local places that could use the help. That doesn't just promote your business but promotes a connection with your community that helps them become more willing to support your local business.

There are several other things I could think of but these cover a good portion of it.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

Archived