Second Skin Audio

How can this design be improved upon??

Ritch40

I feel like that top space sitting above the ports. Is that sealed off from the port, or is it fully open? If it is sealed off, I feel like that space is almost useless and doesn't help with compressing the sound waves.

Like I said I would assume that all of that air up there would just turn into deadspace.

OP that is going to effectively make your box volume smaller and change tuning due to the same amount of port but with different internal volume in the enclosure. Basically that area above the port will most likely just become a swirling air mass that everything else will just kind of slide over IMO.

this was one of many concerns i had.

going horizontal i think you would lose more effieciency. personally i would do a vertical slot port that does a "U" shape to where basically the start of the port would be off the front baffle. but you have a pretty wide box...so if you put both the woofers on the opposite side of the front baffle i dont think they would be close enough to the port to have loading issues.

going horizontal i think you would lose more effieciency. personally i would do a vertical slot port that does a "U" shape to where basically the start of the port would be off the front baffle. but you have a pretty wide box...so if you put both the woofers on the opposite side of the front baffle i dont think they would be close enough to the port to have loading issues.

that is exactly what i am drawing up right now

I will disagree with those that think that room above the port is dead space.

Volume is volume, It may cause some standing waves, but not something that really needs to be worried about in a subwoofer enclosure.

Now if it was a full range ported enclosure Id be more worried about standing waves, but since your looking at something that will have a response under 80ish hertz I wouldnt sweat it.

I would also agree with Kranny on doing a single common chamber enclosure and reinforce it internally.

Unless there is some reason such as space limitations to get it where it needs to go and you need to do it in 2 halfs to make it fit, or you want the box looking symmetrical.

Without the boxes being put together like drawn out it would open you up to more options, give you a tad more internal space since you would not have the 2 box ends that would be screwed/bolted together.

You would gain about 0.273 cubed if space is currently on the small side.

At this point you could also stack the 2 woofers on one side of the enclosure and have 1 larger port for the common chamber box on the other side of the enclosure and not have to worry about any other issues that you said you would have doing it other ways.

One thing which I will suggest is that you could make a common chamber and cut off the little sections on the end so that the whole enclosure dimensions are uniform. Then you could move the woofers closer to the side of the enclosure and use aeroports in the middle. If you could do this and have enough air space still I personally believe that it would be one of the better designs you could go with. I am not sure on the depth of your enclosure from the sketch, but if you could keep from having to put elbows on the ports and turn them then you would have zero issues with subs loading into the port, and you would have a very efficient port design.

Edit: I would through this into WinISD and check it out, but I have yet to have been able to get it installed on my new computer. Sorry for not having very much specific info for you.

WHy not try a single bot with aero ports in the middle between the subs? Would make for such a simpler design, a lot less head aches and math work. Just a suggestion.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

WHy not try a single bot with aero ports in the middle between the subs? Would make for such a simpler design, a lot less head aches and math work. Just a suggestion.

honestly, tight as cash is right now, i dont care to spend the money on aero ports despite the fact i know it would be a lot better

Archived