Sonic Electronix

So tell me, how so is the DD1 or an O-Scope more effective than using test tones and one's ear?

Tools that are made to measure audio, like a DD1 or O-Scope are calibrated and work the same everytime, your ear does not.

I guess if you have a cold and ear ache you are going to have to wait til you're better to tune your amp

What is "distorted music"? I doubt the music itself is distorted, maybe the signal but not the music.

Look at some amateur "bass boosted" music, it is usually clipped to shit by some noob with audacity

Even some low budget mixtapes and beats can be full of distortion

Please, if you're going to be a condescending prick, don't do it on a post that has absolutely nothing to do with you from the start.

Trust me when I say the orionmustang guy is being gentle with you here. Calling you noobs is not as bad as what I have seen.

Ease of gain setting is not what my augment is about. I have never once said the DD1 doesn't make gain setting easier,

I only said that playing test tones to set gains by ear can be as effective, and believe it or not, it is and has been proven.

You guys are basically saying tuning by ear is better than using the DD1

on the forum of the guy WHOSE NAME IS ON THE DD1

:okasshat:

If you wish to be yet another sheep in the flock buying every device claiming to get you proper gain settings to avoid clipping, by all means, spend away. If that's what you need to sleep at night, it's cool with me.

:banhim:

hammer.gif

Why would it bother me if he's being gentle or not? Nobody likes a prick. Simple as that. These forums gain too much "community" popularity. Outside of the internet they're just like us all.

Current Setup: 2002 Ford Focus SE (stock electrical)

-Kenwood Excelon KDC-X397

-Infinity Kappa 6x9's in each door

-Rockford Fosgate Prime R1200-1D

-2 12" Rockford Fosgate P3D2

Backups:

-12" Power Acoustik Mofo-122X in 36hz T-Line box

-Soundstream Piasso P1.1200D

I never said better, don't put words in my mouth.

And ban away, I won't loose any sleep over it.

Noelito, until you can prove me wrong with your own shit, you have no more/less right than I to post.

I never said better, don't put words in my mouth.

And ban away, I won't loose any sleep over it.

Noelito, until you can prove me wrong with your own shit, you have no more/less right than I to post.

how can he prove you wrong when you havent even proved it works.. youre just going by what you heard and seen on youtube.. for all you know they could be wrong and until you do testing on your own you can prove people it works

tuning by oscope, DD-1, or any tool made to sense clipping will be more accurate than by ear.. you can tune by ear but it wont be accurate. it can get you near the ball park but you might be missing out on a few watts that can gain you .1 and a trophy

when i was tuning with my DD1 i did noticed the clipping by ear. i tried tuning it without the dd1 and was always off. not by a lot but that bit can be a lot

So you expect me to by a DD1 or Scope to prove my point? No thanks, I'll pass.

Only "testing" I have ever done was found that setting gains by ear with music proved near, if not completely, impossible. That "I" could clearly (or so I felt) hear when the pitch of the tone changed. And that the AC voltage of the amplifiers I've done that had creditable power specs was not beyond the rated power when using ohms law to calculate the power being produced.

Now granted, the impedance is continuously changing so it's unlikely the amplifier will produce the power the gain were set for very often, but that's to be said with any method. It an amplifier produced the same amount of power for every output signal, well....

is your method accurate though? im not saying you cant tune by ear.. im asking if you are for sure its accurate. are you getting the most out of your equipment is my question.

Unless I missed it, you never stated you were also using voltage to set gains. you said it was only done by ear. Using voltage means you are still relying on a tool to help and using math if you're using ohm's law. both mean you are not tuning by ear.

Now see, if one is setting gains for a daily driver, couple watts of power isn't going to make the slightest difference. If one is setting gains for comp, then chances are they will be seeking a way to use such tools, which that's perfectly fine.

For those without access to such tools, I'm not about to tell them there's no way in hell to set their gains "properly" without a tool they clearly say they can't get.

Show me a system that produces maximum clean power and never clips or produces distortion with music and I will gladly eat my words. Clipping/distortion are bound to happen with music, so one can merely set gains to keep such to a minimum.

Tell me, those of you with amplifiers with clipping indicators, does the light stay off all the time with music or does it flash periodically? If you say it never flashes, please, tell me what amplifier it is and what sort of power you are actually getting from it, if you can.

Archived