Sonic Electronix

Why do so many people use this head unit? Active? Passive?

The menu navigation sucks and the controls feel a bit cheap to me. Otherwise its a lovely headunit

I dont care for the get around functions... but, after a day or so, i can get "around" ok. The feel is a lil on the cheap. If that 99prs feels like this id be upset, but, due to all the goods you get with this for the price, like you, ill over look it...........

Yeah. I never use the remote. It may be the best way to navigate the menus. Also you can get an upgraded one for like $10 from pioneer

Active/Passive refers mainly to how the crossover(s) are handled. A passive system will use a crossover block that is usually included with a set of component speakers while an active system will use an electronic crossover and amplify each speaker independently. You can also apply time alignment to each speaker in an active system as well, which can improve soundstage and imaging. I used my 80-PRS for a long time without an external processor and I thought it was great, however when I changed my front stage setup I required more flexibility with crossover frequencies so I had to add a processor, and I must say I now have vastly improved staging and imaging.

'99 Chevy Blazer 4 door 4x4

HU: Pioneer, DEH-80PRS

Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Legatia L3v2 and Dayton Audio Reference 7" mid-bass

Sub Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies, Clarus C12SW-D2 in a 30hz quarterwave transmission line (plays down to 17hz!)

Amplifier: Addictive Audio 7.4+35.1

Processor: Zapco DSP-Z8

Yeah. I never use the remote. It may be the best way to navigate the menus. Also you can get an upgraded one for like $10 from pioneer

which one? :o

there is a thread about it somewhere. let me go google it

one minute please

Price to start with. got mine for $230 off amazon. For a SQ build it is amazing but pretty much any build. The control you have in your system with this HU is awesome. So many people run these HU because they are one of the best out right now. The PRS-99 is a beautiful HU but comes at a huge price tag. Damn...4-way active would kick ass! This HU can take ok speakers and help make them sound like high dollar speaker. Really cant say enough about it accept it really shines in Active mode and this being my first active setup I will never go back to passive.

Archived