Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Does power affect box rise??


Cj Kumz

Recommended Posts

Posted

lol but what if we DO listen to tones? bitches love tones....

haha jk

but difference between impedance and frequency? or tuning frequency and impedance spike?

(p.s. always feels good to learn something from this site! I know I know, rare thing when our members teach each other but hey, its bound to happen eventually ;) )

Posted

I understand almost everything about impedance rise, very efficient boxes normally have lower rise. And normally where the rise is at it lowest is where the box is tuned to, that's from my own testing

Very efficient boxes usually have a higher "rise", eventhough 'rise' doesn't exist.

ah should add that the impedance rise varies based on frequency, so if it's not near playing hz I wouldn't worry about the spike... but if it's right where you listen.... trouble

"Impedance rise" doesn't exist, it's a made up term by people who don't know what they are talking about.

Impedance just changes, because that's how coils react to changes in frequencies.

This is indeed affected by the box the subwoofer is in, but the subwoofer also has a impedance curve that goes up and down even in free air.

That's what impedance means, it's just resistance but for a coil the coil changes resistance.

You can't say impedance without saying frequency.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Posted

Alright, so sounds like each sub has its own curve of impedance related to frequency. I've seen pictures (wish I could find the thread) of someone testing resistance at different frequencies that were then plotted on a nice XY graph. A few had a BIG spike at one spot in particular, most had more gentle curves. In the thread they mentioned that although the speakers will change resistance while playing, the manufacturer usually sets a rating based on typical use or the lowest resistance the speaker should reach.

Now I see what you guys are saying about impedance=frequency. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how resistance is the same thing as frequency, but it seems like they are directly related instead; a change in one will change the other, and vice versa.

Holy crap I love science.

Feel free to point out anything I don't have right, otherwise I might learn it haha

Posted

I understand almost everything about impedance rise, very efficient boxes normally have lower rise. And normally where the rise is at it lowest is where the box is tuned to, that's from my own testing

Very efficient boxes usually have a higher "rise", eventhough 'rise' doesn't exist.

That seems wrong in my world........ You "rise higher" you will make less power/output.

In my case...

The reason it made monster output, with not much power, and in a 30hz band width, was that my "rise" was nil

The OLE, normal figure (ya.. "normal") that at a nominal load you times 2 or 3 for a reactive load.

you wire to .5, youll see around 1 or 1.5 ohm...... all shit whatever of course...

Me? I rise/rose A TICK over x1.

Wired at .5, id run my IMsg and see (with in my playable band) a "rise" under x1. like with in .2 ohm for a band of 15-20 hz.

That, is what efficient means..... If you RISE, that in turn makes the amp see 15ohm and power is down......

I shit you not. I stayed with in nominal load, for a HUGE band... No real peak though. Hense why it sounds dope on music, and meters like a turd.......

Posted

The point is that a reactive load...is reactive. So it's impossible to tell how a certain driver will work in a certain enclosure on a certain amplifier without tools and testing. There's a lot of variables

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s



 

Posted

I understand almost everything about impedance rise, very efficient boxes normally have lower rise. And normally where the rise is at it lowest is where the box is tuned to, that's from my own testing

Very efficient boxes usually have a higher "rise", eventhough 'rise' doesn't exist.

That seems wrong in my world........ You "rise higher" you will make less power/output.

In my case...

The reason it made monster output, with not much power, and in a 30hz band width, was that my "rise" was nil

The OLE, normal figure (ya.. "normal") that at a nominal load you times 2 or 3 for a reactive load.

you wire to .5, youll see around 1 or 1.5 ohm...... all shit whatever of course...

Me? I rise/rose A TICK over x1.

Wired at .5, id run my IMsg and see (with in my playable band) a "rise" under x1. like with in .2 ohm for a band of 15-20 hz.

That, is what efficient means..... If you RISE, that in turn makes the amp see 15ohm and power is down......

I shit you not. I stayed with in nominal load, for a HUGE band... No real peak though. Hense why it sounds dope on music, and meters like a turd.......

Nice, what measures did you take to reduce our rise??

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Posted

^ Wow, you're so close to nominal.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s



 

Posted

I understand almost everything about impedance rise, very efficient boxes normally have lower rise. And normally where the rise is at it lowest is where the box is tuned to, that's from my own testing

Very efficient boxes usually have a higher "rise", eventhough 'rise' doesn't exist.

That seems wrong in my world........ You "rise higher" you will make less power/output.

In my case...

The reason it made monster output, with not much power, and in a 30hz band width, was that my "rise" was nil

The OLE, normal figure (ya.. "normal") that at a nominal load you times 2 or 3 for a reactive load.

you wire to .5, youll see around 1 or 1.5 ohm...... all shit whatever of course...

Me? I rise/rose A TICK over x1.

Wired at .5, id run my IMsg and see (with in my playable band) a "rise" under x1. like with in .2 ohm for a band of 15-20 hz.

That, is what efficient means..... If you RISE, that in turn makes the amp see 15ohm and power is down......

I shit you not. I stayed with in nominal load, for a HUGE band... No real peak though. Hense why it sounds dope on music, and meters like a turd.......

Nice, what measures did you take to reduce our rise??

I built a box... :shrug:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5298 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...