Second Skin Audio

Port entrance rounding, calculating it into the port length?

tn2k

I am designing a box for my swr-12d4. I'l be using a slotted port. I'll be rounding both ends of the port with a 3/4" router bit. My material will be 3/4" mdf. Im currently bouncing between torres and sketchup. Scratchin my head about this...

1. Does torres take into account the round of the entrance or do I have to add length to the port to accommodate the round?

2. How much of the 3/4" round on each end is considered part of the port and part of the entrance? I have read that the port starts at half way into the the round. Is this true?

I guess what I'm asking is if I my targeted port length was 10" long for my port/box tune, do I need to add to that 10" prior to rounding with my 3/4" bit? if so how much?

Half the radius is considered port length for calculations. Mean, if the portion of your port (square or round) is 1/2" from the portion before the flare to the end, then 1/4" is considered port.

What I typically do on slot ports is use a 1/4" roundover inside and out, and add/subtract 1/4" from the port total.

Per rocking.that.eclipse's statement, small roundovers really don't affect port tuning much. If you're doing larger flares and picking nits, then yes it needs to be considered.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Like philrab said, half the radius is considered to be part of the port.

So if you want your port to be 10" long and are going to use a 3/4" roundover on both ends you should make it 10-3/4" long before using the roundover (+3/8" for each end).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If not kerfing you don't need to factor in the length loss at all, in fact if you are using Torres, the calculator will introduce a much larger error in your tuning calculations.

Archived