Adding a lot of weight to my Tahoe, need big ass brakes and upgrade in suspension

I never recommend any specific brand. What I will recommend is that you check Tire Rack's head to head testing of tires, as I've found them to be both impartial and comprehensive. Sometimes you can get some ideas from the traction/temp/tread wear ratings stamped on the sidewall, but they aren't industry standard measurements so it's hard to compare different brands of tires.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Can you recommend any tire brands? I'm gonna get some 16-17in rims and get some mean looking tires to give it a rugged look.

Also any brands for the suspension, brakes etc...

No, get some 18's or higher and get a high profile tire. The 16's will look really small on a tahoe. Even with those rugged ass mountain climber tires. They look small on a TB. As far as brakes go i'm a ceramic man. Just remember when it comes to tires, stay away from wanli. I know you might be tempted because it sounds like the asian equivalent of your name but I just took those pieces of shit off my truck. Those shits hydroplane when it's dry.

I already have these:

I think I'll do both of these also:

And this Big brake kit

Price wise I really like this, and now that Karkov says he has 750lb just in batteries (I'll have 450lbs in batteries, about 1800lbs total) and it doesn't sag, well the 3 upgrades together should really help.

The brakes look nice, drilled and slotted, nice price and they use the stock calipers.

I think I will see how the tires like it, and if I don't feel the stopping power I want I'll look at other tires after picking some rims.

My tires are brand new with plenty of thread but did not buy them thinking I'd wall the Tahoe.

Ahmed, I'll look at 18s, hopefully I can find something lightweight.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

I already have these:
I think I'll do both of these also:
And this Big brake kit
Price wise I really like this, and now that Karkov says he has 750lb just in batteries (I'll have 450lbs in batteries, about 1800lbs total) and it doesn't sag, well the 3 upgrades together should really help.
The brakes look nice, drilled and slotted, nice price and they use the stock calipers.
I think I will see how the tires like it, and if I don't feel the stopping power I want I'll look at other tires after picking some rims.
My tires are brand new with plenty of thread but did not buy them thinking I'd wall the Tahoe.
Ahmed, I'll look at 18s, hopefully I can find something lightweight.

Check out their prices, this is my go to spot when I have time to wait for shipping. http://www.rockauto.com/

While I agree with philrab about tires, clearly he's never driven a full size GM SUV with weight in it or behind it. The brakes are soft, spongy, and some of the worst out there. I have one, my brother has one, my Dad had one, used to drive them for mobile installs at work, modified dozens, they all suck. I've been racing SCCA and professionally modifying cars for 20+ years, so there's some experience here too. With my boat behind me I can't lock up the brakes without kicking the pedal through the firewall. Don't get me started on the ABS system in those vehicles either, they're more dangerous in many cases than the truck would be without it.

About your equipment list, if you want to stay stock height I think your list is fine. But two points:

1) Shocks were never meant to be weight carrying devices. They dampen the bounce. Use the air bags. As evidence of this look at where the shocks are mounted--on small, thin tabs welded to the axle and frame. Air bags on that truck will slide inside the coil springs in the back--solid on top of the axle and solid on the frame. I can't stand seeing air shocks or coil over shocks on trucks. Do it right. I know many people use them with moderate success but it's clearly not the best way to do it.

Yes, I realize that body style used factory air shocks on the Escalade and Denali, but as a rule of thumb it's still not as strong of a design.

2) That brake kit (other than the SS lines) is no better than your stock setup. Hydraulic pressure comes from the master cylinder (stock) and pressurizes the calipers (stock). The SS lines may give you a bit better feel, but a stock sized drilled and slotted rotor actually has less surface area for friction than a solid one, so any benefit of a more aggressive pad is washed out by that. Only way to truly get more braking force is stronger hydraulics or larger diameter rotors to increase the leverage.

Static drops are my bag.

While I agree with philrab about tires, clearly he's never driven a full size GM SUV with weight in it or behind it. The brakes are soft, spongy, and some of the worst out there. I have one, my brother has one, my Dad had one, used to drive them for mobile installs at work, modified dozens, they all suck. I've been racing SCCA and professionally modifying cars for 20+ years, so there's some experience here too. With my boat behind me I can't lock up the brakes without kicking the pedal through the firewall. Don't get me started on the ABS system in those vehicles either, they're more dangerous in many cases than the truck would be without it.

About your equipment list, if you want to stay stock height I think your list is fine. But two points:

1) Shocks were never meant to be weight carrying devices. They dampen the bounce. Use the air bags. As evidence of this look at where the shocks are mounted--on small, thin tabs welded to the axle and frame. Air bags on that truck will slide inside the coil springs in the back--solid on top of the axle and solid on the frame. I can't stand seeing air shocks or coil over shocks on trucks. Do it right. I know many people use them with moderate success but it's clearly not the best way to do it.

Yes, I realize that body style used factory air shocks on the Escalade and Denali, but as a rule of thumb it's still not as strong of a design.

2) That brake kit (other than the SS lines) is no better than your stock setup. Hydraulic pressure comes from the master cylinder (stock) and pressurizes the calipers (stock). The SS lines may give you a bit better feel, but a stock sized drilled and slotted rotor actually has less surface area for friction than a solid one, so any benefit of a more aggressive pad is washed out by that. Only way to truly get more braking force is stronger hydraulics or larger diameter rotors to increase the leverage.

It is staying stock height, I was gonna do a slight lift but no more. About the brake kit, can you suggest a better one? I'd be willing to spend 1k-1.5k if they were truly worth it.

Thank you for the input.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

The Build Log

AddAleaf in the rear.

I just dont really see upgrading the brakes as THAT large of a deal. Your not doing all that much.

That thing could probably tow a boat, and slow it down fine.

Just put new rotors on, up size them if you can, and some after market calipers.

Your not adding 2 tons of weight. You will have to change your driving style, but,. hell..... i just dont see all the need. :shrug:

AddAleaf in the rear.

I just dont really see upgrading the brakes as THAT large of a deal. Your not doing all that much.

That thing could probably tow a boat, and slow it down fine.

Just put new rotors on, up size them if you can, and some after market calipers.

Your not adding 2 tons of weight. You will have to change your driving style, but,. hell..... i just dont see all the need. :shrug:

I have always driven slow... That won't be a problem. Just wanna be able to stop when I want to

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

The Build Log

I mean.. adding a ton (you really think its gonna be 2000lbs? really? if so, cool)

That in a burb/tahoe is what.. 6 people and their luggage? .. give or take?

and it was built for that...... id expect.

Like i said, some larger rotors, and calipers i guess would help.

In the rear, add a leaf, or some cheap ass air bags...

Let us know what you do..

I mean.. adding a ton (you really think its gonna be 2000lbs? really? if so, cool)

That in a burb/tahoe is what.. 6 people and their luggage? .. give or take?

and it was built for that...... id expect.

Like i said, some larger rotors, and calipers i guess would help.

In the rear, add a leaf, or some cheap ass air bags...

Let us know what you do..

Jk13 said my list looked fine as long I kept it stock height which I am. I am very interested in bigger rotors and calipers though.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

The Build Log

Archived