want good advice about car audio

Hi, My name is Wesley and i absolutely love car audio. I am 17 years old and a senior in high school, next year i will be starting college at the Installers Institute in Florida. I was just wanting to know what else should i learn and or do before pursuing my goal of owning my own shop. anything helps and I'm being serious about this no bs I just want some professional advice.

go to a real college and get a real education first. clearly you need it b/c you think that II and college are the same thing. I'm a former business owner and now I'm a stay at home dad with a part time job as an installer for a local shop and I coach HS wrestling. all small businesses will close up one day, most of them will close up within the first 10 years of operation. let's just say you get lucky and stay open for 20 years, what are you going to do than with no college degree or real work experience other than what employers are going to say is "your own business"? McDonalds? Taco Bell? I have owned 2 businesses and have made a six figure income for the last 8 out of 10 years. you have to keep in mind of the future. Get a real degree first or go to II during a summer break than get a job working for a good shop and learn how the business really works. than after you graduate start your shop. if you shop doesn't make money, which it most likely won't, than what are you going to do with your life. a lot of what you are doing is just a waste of time and money with no real results. if you can't afford a 4 year college than get a 2 year associates degree from a community college with a minor in electronics.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

What n8 said.. Most not all but most owners dont even touch a tool anymore. They spend their time making sure the business is running.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

Hi, My name is Wesley and i absolutely love car audio. I am 17 years old and a senior in high school, next year i will be starting college at the Installers Institute in Florida. I was just wanting to know what else should i learn and or do before pursuing my goal of owning my own shop. anything helps and I'm being serious about this no bs I just want some professional advice.

go to a real college and get a real education first. clearly you need it b/c you think that II and college are the same thing. I'm a former business owner and now I'm a stay at home dad with a part time job as an installer for a local shop and I coach HS wrestling. all small businesses will close up one day, most of them will close up within the first 10 years of operation. let's just say you get lucky and stay open for 20 years, what are you going to do than with no college degree or real work experience other than what employers are going to say is "your own business"? McDonalds? Taco Bell? I have owned 2 businesses and have made a six figure income for the last 8 out of 10 years. you have to keep in mind of the future. Get a real degree first or go to II during a summer break than get a job working for a good shop and learn how the business really works. than after you graduate start your shop. if you shop doesn't make money, which it most likely won't, than what are you going to do with your life. a lot of what you are doing is just a waste of time and money with no real results. if you can't afford a 4 year college than get a 2 year associates degree from a community college with a minor in electronics.

wow i dont even know what to respond with......

so in your opinion education wise what is a smart path as far as degrees and courses

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon mids and tweeters

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

soon to be fu audio c pillar wall

What n8 said.. Most not all but most owners dont even touch a tool anymore. They spend their time making sure the business is running.

why because they are too busy on the buissness side or because they have people hired to build

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

because running a successful business is more work than anything. everyone I know whonowns their owj business works 70 hours a week plus

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

so in your opinion education wise what is a smart path as far as degrees and courses

can you do a 4-yr college/university? if so take Electrical Engineering with a minor in Business Management. if not, get an Associate's Degree in Business Administration with a focus on Retail Management. during a Summer go to II than get a part time job at Best Buy to get your feet wet in the variety of installs. only stay there for 2 years at the max (make sure you leave on good terms). than get a job at what would be considered the best car audio shop in your area stay there for 1 year max. now go back to BB or another big shop. keep notes during your time there of what you felt those employers were not doing for their customers. note what they are charging for their services and keep on par with those prices, don't charge less b/c you'll definitely close up with in the first year or two. During all of this you need to be saving money. when opening up any business you need to have the money to keep it up for 3 months without the business paying for it's own. there are other way of doing it but they don't get you into the field you want as fast.

can you do a 4-yr college/university? if so take Electrical Engineering with a minor in Business Management. if not, get an Associate's Degree in Business Administration with a focus on Retail Management. during a Summer go to II than get a part time job at Best Buy to get your feet wet in the variety of installs. only stay there for 2 years at the max (make sure you leave on good terms). than get a job at what would be considered the best car audio shop in your area stay there for 1 year max. now go back to BB or another big shop. keep notes during your time there of what you felt those employers were not doing for their customers. note what they are charging for their services and keep on par with those prices, don't charge less b/c you'll definitely close up with in the first year or two. During all of this you need to be saving money. when opening up any business you need to have the money to keep it up for 3 months without the business paying for it's own. there are other way of doing it but they don't get you into the field you want as fast.

i have enough saved up for a 4yr college but that seems overkill for car audio if i was going to college for electrical engineering

Build Log

1996 chevy suburban

2 zv4 15

kenwood excelon deck

mevhman 370

3 batts all different

mechman avmb II

2 inch squat

33 inch muds

straight pipes

kixker zx series 4ch

sundown amps

memphis 0 gauge

no not at all. trust me. im a consumer who spends alot of money. I look at qualifications before I do anything.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

As I've suggested before, running a business is just about more work than doing the work itself. You have to CONSTANTLY keep an eye on your suppliers to make sure you aren't leaving money on the table, keep hustling business, keep reinventing your product line/services to stay relavent in a changing retail/service environment. Even doing everything right, sometimes through no fault of your own shit just goes south. I've been the lead service guy/field supervisor for one privately held business, Ops manager for another, GM for two locations for a national company, and currently run a home business on the side from my day job. The guys that are really sucesfull are workaholics/neurotic about it. You have to be, and it's even MORE work involved if you want to run the business and do the work.

Get an education, preferably in something that A. you can make a living doing if/when the business grenades and B. applies to the business you want to open. I'd also suggest you either take courses in Econ/Finance/Business/ Management. They will come in very handy if you want to run your own business, at least giving you the basics. I think your safest bet is to work your way through college at a local installer/fab shop, make your name and get yourself recognized, and get experience all in one box.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

i have enough saved up for a 4yr college but that seems overkill for car audio if i was going to college for electrical engineering

overkill? so imagine having to buy inventory every couple of weeks and paying all the over head as well as labor for employees. I highly doubt that you'll be generating the money to be sustained as cash on hand, over 95% of the businesses out there use a revolving line of credit to pay for inventory as well as labor. of those 95%, 70% of those businesses close up in the first 2 years with an average of $50k of debt from those lines of credit. businesses that close up after the first 2 years usually close with the owner having over $100k of debt from those lines of credit. how are you going to pay that money back? this is why so many people don't go into business. all these numbers are probably worse since I was in college over 10 years ago but the numbers are tried and true. car audio doesn't have the mark up it use to have, just the numbers alone say you will fail in 5 years as a best case scenario. how do you plan to address inventory? what do you plan on carrying? what services you plan on offering? how many people are going to be working for you? how do you plan on paying them? it's not as simple as finding a location with a garage door and saying "i'm open for business". you need to get an occupational license, you need credit if you plan on carrying any big name brands. if you think that you're going to carry all the forum brands, you are destined for failure b/c they have the lowest mark ups of all the companies. low mark ups mean low profit, low profit means closed shop.

Archived