evermaxx Posted October 26, 2014 Report Posted October 26, 2014 Gotta pay for nice sound, then again this is the 2nd highest set from Hertz. Team Subsonic Lows Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch Man....it makes a nice work bench
Hotdog Posted October 26, 2014 Author Report Posted October 26, 2014 Yes, you're 2nd post is true And you will still get better sound out the XL running active. (Friend is a dealer and I've heard multiple setups active and passive with both sets) might be a silly question but if you heard them Active and passive what stands out most to you between the two. Other then being able to set your own crossover points. In a way I kinda wonder why they sell crossover with the higher end stuff if it is better to run active. Is there a Warranty still if you don't use the crossover? (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
evermaxx Posted October 26, 2014 Report Posted October 26, 2014 Not reall much of a difference tbh, to me The crossovers are nice. And yes. Team Subsonic Lows Get your garbage EMF products of my amp bitch Man....it makes a nice work bench
jk13 Posted October 26, 2014 Report Posted October 26, 2014 In a way I kinda wonder why they sell crossover with the higher end stuff if it is better to run active. Is there a Warranty still if you don't use the crossover? Smarter men than us designed and built those crossovers. There is usually more to a high end passive than just a crossover point. Things like phase compensation, Zobel (impedance) compensation, level matching, etc. Most people that run active don't sound as good as they would have if they ran the passives. There is a lot of tuning needed to get back to that point and most people don't have the ears nor the knowledge to get there. The benefits for most are simply less tax on the amps and more power/headroom to the speakers--not better SQ. Static drops are my bag.
Hotdog Posted October 26, 2014 Author Report Posted October 26, 2014 In a way I kinda wonder why they sell crossover with the higher end stuff if it is better to run active. Is there a Warranty still if you don't use the crossover? Smarter men than us designed and built those crossovers. There is usually more to a high end passive than just a crossover point. Things like phase compensation, Zobel (impedance) compensation, level matching, etc. Most people that run active don't sound as good as they would have if they ran the passives. There is a lot of tuning needed to get back to that point and most people don't have the ears nor the knowledge to get there. The benefits for most are simply less tax on the amps and more power/headroom to the speakers--not better SQ. I like that answer. (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
OrionStang Posted October 26, 2014 Report Posted October 26, 2014 Well, Im no professional SQ guy, but I will tell you that active sounds HELLA better once you take the time to dial in each individual speaker. Slopes, attenuation, crossover points, not to mention TA and equalization. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Hotdog Posted October 26, 2014 Author Report Posted October 26, 2014 I have an Alpine CDA-9887 and was wanting to use the Alpine imprint with it to EQ the system. I will have to do more reading on it though. I already did the Imprint on the Mountaineer but on a passive system. (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
jk13 Posted October 26, 2014 Report Posted October 26, 2014 Well, Im no professional SQ guy, but I will tell you that active sounds HELLA better once you take the time to dial in each individual speaker. Slopes, attenuation, crossover points, not to mention TA and equalization. I agree if the tuner knows what they are doing. For the vast majority that don't have the tools or knowledge it will sound better on the engineered passives, that's all I said. Like in the "should I run .5 ohm daily" thread--the answer is no simply because you had to ask. Most people aren't capable of properly tuning the computer in their car in the garage, either. They'll take it to a dyno or send data logs to a tuner. Same concept. Passive vs. active would be like a Cobb tune (from the STi thread) vs. a dyno tune. Cobb works well, hopefully a dyno tune will work better, but only if the tuner knows what they're doing. We've seen some come back that are worse, whether it's a drivability issue, idle, midrange, or somewhere else. Static drops are my bag.
Hotdog Posted October 29, 2014 Author Report Posted October 29, 2014 I have heard that you can bi-amp the hertz Crossovers but when I looked at the manual I could not find any information on it. I was thinking of bi-amping the component set but I have a 800.2 already. I can hook that up normal through the crossover. Rockford Fosgate manual 800.2 Link --> http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2001/3_amplifiers/man3216a_punch2ch_man.PDF It is rated at 240 watts x 2 at 4ohm. Would this be to much for the Hertz High Energy. I know they are rated at 150rms a peice but can take a lot more based on what I have read. Question is burning out the crossover. (NEW) 2004 F-150 Build Log -->http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/192208-hotdogs-f-150-build-log/ 2003 Mercury Mountaineer Build Log --> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/114380-hotdogs-2003-mountaineer-build-log-20-removed/page__gopid__1602379#entry1602379 2008 Equinox Build Log --> http://www.stevemead...g/#entry1475764
OrionStang Posted October 29, 2014 Report Posted October 29, 2014 Most I've given a set running passive crossovers was 200 per side, Sundown 200.4, so likely a bit more than rated. Never had any issues with the crossovers or speakers. I would just dd-1 with 0db tone and then back the gains down a hair. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.