Krakin Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 If I had, let's say 600W on one 18 or 600W on each 8" or whatever that fills up the same volume, I would take the latter. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 some dude with 8-9 pyle 6.5" subs was showing them off in a thread not to long ago and everyone told him they wouldnt play low, which they didnt really. You can also get louder with 18's because when was the last time you heard of a 8" take anything more than 1k? the DD Z can take massive amounts of power, RE MT can to. you could have ten 8's on 10k watts or one 18 on 10k. its more cost effective depending what you buy aswell. It's more cost effective yes but ten 8's would be double the cone area. And quality matters Pyle is hardly what I would use as a comparison to a quality 18. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Phaeton Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 some dude with 8-9 pyle 6.5" subs was showing them off in a thread not to long ago and everyone told him they wouldnt play low, which they didnt really. You can also get louder with 18's because when was the last time you heard of a 8" take anything more than 1k? the DD Z can take massive amounts of power, RE MT can to. you could have ten 8's on 10k watts or one 18 on 10k. its more cost effective depending what you buy aswell. It's more cost effective yes but ten 8's would be double the cone area. And quality matters Pyle is hardly what I would use as a comparison to a quality 18. yeah, pyle wasnt the best but you know what i mean. 1997 subaru legacy outback Four 15's in a almost wall Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass Optima Yellow top batteries 270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) Lots of Second Skin
MrSkippyJ Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 some dude with 8-9 pyle 6.5" subs was showing them off in a thread not to long ago and everyone told him they wouldnt play low, which they didnt really. You can also get louder with 18's because when was the last time you heard of a 8" take anything more than 1k? the DD Z can take massive amounts of power, RE MT can to. you could have ten 8's on 10k watts or one 18 on 10k. its more cost effective depending what you buy aswell. This for sure. Cost doesn't drop THAT much for a smaller sub. And of course when you start changing the power going to the speakers, you start dealing with lots of other variables. Those variables can have a lot of effect on how a sub sounds. But it's important to realize the distinction between the size of subs and the amount of cone area. 8s can play low just as well as an 18. I have 2 8s in my truck and play below 30, down to about 28 or 27 before it starts dropping off, just as loudly (if not louder) than 30-40hz. Mostly that is because my tuning is around 32-33ish. If I had tuned to 27 then I could probably play down to the low 20s. I have similar cone area to a single 12 and I bet I can play just as low as a SA 12 can, in similar set ups of course. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
MrSkippyJ Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 If I had, let's say 600W on one 18 or 600W on each 8" or whatever that fills up the same volume, I would take the latter. And that is where this gets tricky, because now you are comparing different power levels as well. I would take the same as well though. F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Phaeton Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 some dude with 8-9 pyle 6.5" subs was showing them off in a thread not to long ago and everyone told him they wouldnt play low, which they didnt really. You can also get louder with 18's because when was the last time you heard of a 8" take anything more than 1k? the DD Z can take massive amounts of power, RE MT can to. you could have ten 8's on 10k watts or one 18 on 10k. its more cost effective depending what you buy aswell. This for sure. Cost doesn't drop THAT much for a smaller sub. And of course when you start changing the power going to the speakers, you start dealing with lots of other variables. Those variables can have a lot of effect on how a sub sounds. But it's important to realize the distinction between the size of subs and the amount of cone area. 8s can play low just as well as an 18. I have 2 8s in my truck and play below 30, down to about 28 or 27 before it starts dropping off, just as loudly (if not louder) than 30-40hz. Mostly that is because my tuning is around 32-33ish. If I had tuned to 27 then I could probably play down to the low 20s. I have similar cone area to a single 12 and I bet I can play just as low as a SA 12 can, in similar set ups of course. yeah, thats fair enough logic man. i guess if you make a decent box you could do it up . 1997 subaru legacy outback Four 15's in a almost wall Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass Optima Yellow top batteries 270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) Lots of Second Skin
Phaeton Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 Inb4 OP banned for being a smart ass about vs. Thread. Same exact power or what? 2 subs would run cooler as well. you can make a vs thread as long as its the same company, example: Fi Q vs Fi BL 12's 1997 subaru legacy outback Four 15's in a almost wall Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass Optima Yellow top batteries 270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) Lots of Second Skin
Krakin Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 If I had, let's say 600W on one 18 or 600W on each 8" or whatever that fills up the same volume, I would take the latter. And that is where this gets tricky, because now you are comparing different power levels as well. I would take the same as well though. This is why I don't like this query. I would like for people to learn more about speaker design and acoustics before worrying about number of speakers, cone-area and power. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
MrSkippyJ Posted November 5, 2014 Report Posted November 5, 2014 If I had, let's say 600W on one 18 or 600W on each 8" or whatever that fills up the same volume, I would take the latter. And that is where this gets tricky, because now you are comparing different power levels as well. I would take the same as well though. This is why I don't like this query. I would like for people to learn more about speaker design and acoustics before worrying about number of speakers, cone-area and power. I'm right there with you. I don't understand basically any of it really. I basically know enough to keep my mouth shut, most of the time! F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
Cj Kumz Posted November 5, 2014 Author Report Posted November 5, 2014 Sorry I forgot to mention the power level been the same. So you can take it that we using da same amp at the same load. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.