Is this enough power for my setup?

I just remembered why I did not look into the DC alt. They do not have an alt listed for my car. 2003 Highlander. And the cutoff year is 2004. :P

I have an '03 expedition and it wasnt listed on their site either. I called and sure enough they had one. They machine their casings in house so if yours is a very uncommon one it may take some time but worth the wait IMO

It's going to depend on a lot of things and also what you plan on doing with the system.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I just remembered why I did not look into the DC alt. They do not have an alt listed for my car. 2003 Highlander. And the cutoff year is 2004. :P

I have an '03 expedition and it wasnt listed on their site either. I called and sure enough they had one. They machine their casings in house so if yours is a very uncommon one it may take some time but worth the wait IMO

I will think about it. I would rather not wait too long!

so it'll put more strain on the alt? sorry i'm trying to learn something lol

Yes. If voltage stays above lets say 12.8 or 13, then the battery is not making any favorable contribution and it's drawing amperage from your alt to just sit there and do nothing. Almost like what people used to say about caps.

As said above, will it make a difference? It could, but you most likely won't hear it in a single or dual battery setup. Each battery is going to draw about 7A to maintain a surface charge so if you are talking a bank of 10+ batteries and your alt power isn't sufficient for what is being drawn, the effects can start to become real.

so it'll put more strain on the alt? sorry i'm trying to learn something lol

Yes. If voltage stays above lets say 12.8 or 13, then the battery is not making any favorable contribution and it's drawing amperage from your alt to just sit there and do nothing. Almost like what people used to say about caps.

As said above, will it make a difference? It could, but you most likely won't hear it in a single or dual battery setup. Each battery is going to draw about 7A to maintain a surface charge so if you are talking a bank of 10+ batteries and your alt power isn't sufficient for what is being drawn, the effects can start to become real.

Right but we aren't talking 10 Batts and one alt here.

I do agree with you though at some point continuing to add more Batts is doing more harm than good.

for what op wants to do two Batts and the ho alt is what I would do.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Took me about 12 days to ge mine from mechman. was hairpin 320 n it wasn't listd as option on the site. as far as mechman alts they all do pretty similar outputs at idle but some people drive while listenin to stereo. not sure hw much price diff is between 240 n 320 but id go for the 300+ if i were you

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

How bout a dual-alt kit, run factory alt for the vehicle and run the HO alt for the system...keep your current battery and just cop another for the system....

Dual alt isn't necessary here and unless you're going to run 14 or 16v why would you not want both alts contributing to the system if you were going to do all of that work anyway?

Archived