Second Skin Audio

Anybody have any solutions to prevent mdf from splitting?

SQL50

Like the topic says, any solutions to prevent splitting? My past two boxes, I've had a problem with it around the corners. All pre-drilled and it still splits, not every corner, just one or two. Must be missing something, figured pre-drilling would stop it. But as long as it wasn't around a corner it worked just fine, no issues. Don't know what's up with it.

Never thought of using clamps on it, that's a pretty good idea. Had course thread drywall screws, pre-drilled the holes 3/8" from the edge, I figured that was all you had to do to prevent it, thanks for the advice, haven't finished the box I'm on now but I'll definitely try it. Or maybe the screws I'm using are too long? 1 5/8"?

I've used clamps and that works well. Are you using a countersink drill bit to drill the holes? If not that helps too.

The best way is to stop using MDF or screws. Seriously.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Or dot drill in the very corner I stay two inches away from each edge

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

n8ball, that's what I tried to do man, it just split on me. Hell I even used a drill press on it to make sure it was completely straight. Curious about Triticum's solution on wood, if there's a better material for sub box's I want to know about it. All I ever hear is to use 3/4" MDF.

Archived