Genesis730 Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 I'm in the process of building my box and one of the smaller things I didn't consider earlier was the terminal cup I wanted to use. I need to decide so I can cut out the hole for my enclosure. My question: Is there any real difference in quality? My biggest concern is if I'm passing too large of a current through a cheap terminal connector, could it burn out the connection between wires outside and inside the box going to sub(s)? I would assume since there's varying metals, width, and thickness of metals used to make the connection that it is possible. Your thoughts??
islandpride684 Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 I don't think anyone uses those anymore...bolts and nuts is the way to go... Build Log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186921-blk9te-07-yukon-slo-mo-build/page-3?hl=%2Bblk9te#entry2881410
mothra Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 i always go wire straight through the box caulk sealed, terminal cups suck if nothing changes, nothing changes You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 I use binding post, I've never come across a terminal cup that's worth buying. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 I use terminal cups for some low power applications, these are the ones I use: https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-round-speaker-wire-terminal-cup-2-7-8-gold-spring-loaded--260-276 I only consider them good up to 600 watts per ohm. For higher power stuff I use 1/4" aluminum bolts, or large binding posts. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
BigManAC Posted December 31, 2014 Report Posted December 31, 2014 Personally I think a better way and easier way to go is just bolts. They make it super simple to attach the wire and they are cheap. I do like those binding post, I might have to try some 2001 Saturn L200-Sony MEX-BT4100PFRONT STAGE:- (4) Crescendo PWX 6- Cadence XA250.2SUB STAGE:-Fi Audio BL 15 (Sealed Off)-Crescendo BC2kELECTRICAL:- Singer 240A alt - XS Power D3400- SkyHigh OFC power/speaker wire- Big 3 with SkyHigh 0gaugeBuild Log: Click HereScores: 146.5db @ 29hz Outlaw
Genesis730 Posted January 1, 2015 Author Report Posted January 1, 2015 Thank you for all the responses! Now I know NO Terminal Cups Any recommended brand for Binding Posts? I'm using 4AWG wire since I have some extra lying around. The ol' fashion Bolt & Nut is temping but I'd like to go for a clean look. I will definitely keep in mind for future installs though!
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted January 1, 2015 Report Posted January 1, 2015 I like the Dayton audio ones, but if you're dead set on 4ga bolts are about your only option besides wires straight through the box. you could buy some nice brass bolts and wing nuts and have a nice look still though. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 1, 2015 Report Posted January 1, 2015 I use these ones http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38g-hd-binding-post-pair-gold--091-1245 or these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38sn-hd-binding-post-pair-satin-nickel--091-1247 They are really nicely made and I think will take up to 8 gauge wire. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Broke_Audio_Addict Posted January 1, 2015 Report Posted January 1, 2015 I use these ones http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38g-hd-binding-post-pair-gold--091-1245 or these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bpa-38sn-hd-binding-post-pair-satin-nickel--091-1247 They are really nicely made and I think will take up to 8 gauge wire. Those are the ones. They will take 8ga it's a tight fit though. That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.