Second Skin Audio

Square vs Slot Port question

KenSchoen

On the following sight http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 I have entered various spec's for different subs. Something I noticed though is where you calculate the port length...simply changing it from a slot port to a square port but keeping the same dimensions make's it suggest a port thats substantially longer. Im hoping for an explanation on why this is :)

The square port reduces net volume a good amount since it doesn't use already existing walls of the box. The reduced net volume means a longer port to achieve the same tuning.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

The square port reduces net volume a good amount since it doesn't use already existing walls of the box. The reduced net volume means a longer port to achieve the same tuning.

Square port has less surface area than slot port.

Less surface area = less air resistance

It's a more efficient port Because of that.

Heres a better example of what im talking

About

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189867-understanding-ports-a-lesson-in-dimensions-vs-efficiency/#

It's what CJ Cums said, with that calculator when you select slot port you will get a shorter result since slot ports share common walls with the rest of box. This makes the slot perform likes its longer than it really is.

What everyone else said above about square/slot ports is correct as well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It's called the "End correction factor for slot ports" and JL Audio estimates it as Port Width / 2 (in reference to the pic below):

end_correction.jpg

The increased "effective length" of a slotted port is due to the common wall (in this case the back wall of the box) extends beyond the actual port length.

The end result is that a slotted port will tune slightly lower than a non slotted one.

Square port has less surface area than slot port.

Less surface area = less air resistance

It's a more efficient port Because of that.

Heres a better example of what im talking

About

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189867-understanding-ports-a-lesson-in-dimensions-vs-efficiency/#

So based on going through that round port's are the most efficient. I knew that...but that present's me with a problem. The enclosure I have in mind and have been mulling over different drawing's and sketches...is that it seems to be a lot easier to fit a slot port or even a square port when space is an issue. Not how big the box can be space. Square footage on the face of the box space. Any suggestions? I want to design a box with the subs and port firing into the cabin. It's in my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. I want designs layed out for multiple options. Three ten's, two twelve's, two fifteen's....but it sucks cause idk which subs I want yet. I was thinking P3's

Not how big the box can be space. Square footage on the face of the box space. Any suggestions? I want to design a box with the subs and port firing into the cabin. It's in my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. I want designs layed out for multiple options. Three ten's, two twelve's, two fifteen's....but it sucks cause idk which subs I want yet. I was thinking P3's

Get the max box size you can build outside and get inside (you can get that building a cardboard dummy box and test fit), then you can answer most of your questions:

1) area of the baffle.

2) gross volume.

From there you should choose a set of subs than can work in the space available and subs that you can afford, odd number of subs brings a problem and that is most of them you can't wire them to a final impedance of 1 ohm (usually), that means your amp can't deliver all of it's specified power or you will have to run it below stable impedance.

Not how big the box can be space. Square footage on the face of the box space. Any suggestions? I want to design a box with the subs and port firing into the cabin. It's in my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe. I want designs layed out for multiple options. Three ten's, two twelve's, two fifteen's....but it sucks cause idk which subs I want yet. I was thinking P3's

Get the max box size you can build outside and get inside (you can get that building a cardboard dummy box and test fit), then you can answer most of your questions:

1) area of the baffle.

2) gross volume.

From there you should choose a set of subs than can work in the space available and subs that you can afford, odd number of subs brings a problem and that is most of them you can't wire them to a final impedance of 1 ohm (usually), that means your amp can't deliver all of it's specified power or you will have to run it below stable impedance.

Yeah I know. Im referring to the process of laying out sub and port placement.

Archived