Second Skin Audio

Using nail gun?

jessdabest77

Never had an issue with any boxes or walls I built using glue and 18gauge brad nails.

Boxes that are in well over 150db to 157+db.

So please tell me again how a mechanical bond is better, because according to your theory all my boxes I ever built would be fallen apart or already fell apart.

Edit:

Also want to mention I know a bunch of other great builders and one that Im no longer friends with, all they use is woodglue, clamps, and nails as well.

They also dont seem to have any issues.

Never had an issue with any boxes or walls I built using glue and 18gauge brad nails.

Boxes that are in well over 150db to 157+db.

So please tell me again how a mechanical bond is better, because according to your theory all my boxes I ever built would be fallen apart or already fell apart.

Edit:

Also want to mention I know a bunch of other great builders and one that Im no longer friends with, all they use is woodglue, clamps, and nails as well.

They also dont seem to have any issues.

I think as long as you have a good chemical bond, you could either use screws or brad nails and be in the clear. Once that wood glue dries if all your panels fit together flush, that wood is going to blow apart before that wood glue gives it up.

Actually the way most people use screws, they are actually worse off.

Especially people that continuously think that the screw is what holds the 2 pieces together.

People that dont predrill split wood, makes it weaker.

Even if you predrill you can risk spitting the wood slightly, especially if your to close to the outside edge.

If you dont predrill a countersink hole for the screw the wood will usually split out, less wood from that upon predrilling your reducing the surface area slightly.

Trying to round over a boxes exterior edges with a 1/2 round over is impossible due to screw heads unless you remove the screws of coarse, but then the point of saying a screws mechanical bond is stronger than a chemical bond is useless and pointless.

Not to mention I see it so many times of people putting screws on top of screws on top of screws, every inch if even that. Thats doing nothing but weakening the wood even more.

If you leave a side clamped for at least a hour after nailing it, you should have no issues.

Also depends on the type of glue used, and the method for applying the glue and using the glue in its operational temp range too is key. If the glue says 50degrees and your trying to use it in 40degree weather, it will just chaulk up and freeze for the most part.

Some people lay a bead of glue and say good enough, the wood will spread it evenly, I spread the glue across the entire seam to ensure a full bond.

Archived