audiophile headunits???? where did they all go???

Nsomnia

True analog would be class ab amps even tube amps even analog controlled eq's basically nothing digital even tho all CD s are converted to digital signal.

I have never put together a full analog set up we are in the digital age but the one I heard was amazing and fun to listen to..digital cars were more technical sounding the analog car was more warm and realistic sounding to me

The problem with the 80prs I am told and read everywhere the output signal I.e rca out put is crap for sq if you run a dsp it makes all the features useless with a lower grade output signal

Now if you are using for its features and don't have a dsp there not a deck out there that does it better.... And personally I think it looks like crap

Yea, I need to talk to some of the guys on DIY or MAF and ask them about their comments on the 80prs's crossover. Apparently its not done very well.

So now I am looking at a Alpine 9887 instead, which is funny because I had one in a camaro I had in college....

Also why the hell can't manufacturers do a true 3-way or 4 way setup in a car HU? Or make coax or optical standard...

True analog would be class ab amps even tube amps even analog controlled eq's basically nothing digital even tho all CD s are converted to digital signal.

I have never put together a full analog set up we are in the digital age but the one I heard was amazing and fun to listen to..digital cars were more technical sounding the analog car was more warm and realistic sounding to me

The problem with the 80prs I am told and read everywhere the output signal I.e rca out put is crap for sq if you run a dsp it makes all the features useless with a lower grade output signal

Now if you are using for its features and don't have a dsp there not a deck out there that does it better.... And personally I think it looks like crap

Yea, I need to talk to some of the guys on DIY or MAF and ask them about their comments on the 80prs's crossover. Apparently its not done very well.

So now I am looking at a Alpine 9887 instead, which is funny because I had one in a camaro I had in college....

Also why the hell can't manufacturers do a true 3-way or 4 way setup in a car HU? Or make coax or optical standard...

they could make it standard and do it right but its not what the Masses want nor do they want to pay for it if 90% of them will never use it. so your stuck paying extra to get real quality

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

they could make it standard and do it right but its not what the Masses want nor do they want to pay for it if 90% of them will never use it. so your stuck paying extra to get real quality

Well I mean I think the 99PRS or 300$+ headunits are not for the masses. At that point you actually are going to a niche so you should cater to them. I think the development cost is enough that they would rather put it towards a DSP then the headunit to make you buy multiple components. Which actually I am fine with AS LONG as they give you connection options that give you more flexibility then a base model HU. Right now I don't believe that is the case.

They make more money with individual components. I really wish MiniDSP was better...I feel like that could potentially be great but not with their current choice of opamps or DSP chip.

Alpine W505 has optical out.... But optical only works with cds nothing else...

So company's tried there own cables alpine had AI net zappco the symbilink cable

A lot of mp3 plays area running better DACs than more car audio DSPs, with some having full digital out or coax out. Ai-net let you run RCA or Alpine stuff limiting you again my frustration is that essentially its all the same product. The features over a line of 50+ headunits is technology and features of 10-15 years ago while adding USB and bluetooth. Its sad.

And realistically people don't know the difference or care, as long as they can listen to their bullshit ipod they're happy. Sorry this is turning into a rant I'll stop.

I''ve been tempted to run a home audio receiver for my mids, but they're kind of big lol. Pro Audio receivers get real expensive for SQ capabilities.. Can get some decent custom built equipment (headphone DAC's for example) for decent price if you poke around.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Analog = Natural Sound

Digital = Sterile Sound

Analog music includes all noises and information made during recording, digital strips everything but what the producer wants in the track, there are no ambient sounds in the studio included in a digital track.

Neil Young wants to try and replicate an analog sound in digital format, but from all the blind tests done so far on his pono it does not look good.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

The worst part of digital today is all the so called music producers out there pumping out distorted music that sounds like shit, and the sad part is that some of the music is really good but was pushed beyond the limits and distorted as if they're gain knobs are volume knobs like our amplifier gains get used for.

You have a generation of kids that know nothing of quality and have never been taught what quality in music really is.

Those of us old enough to have lived in that time and bought the music, equipment and took the time to set it up correctly understand what has been lost.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

The worst part of digital today is all the so called music producers out there pumping out distorted music that sounds like shit, and the sad part is that some of the music is really good but was pushed beyond the limits and distorted as if they're gain knobs are volume knobs like our amplifier gains get used for.

You have a generation of kids that know nothing of quality and have never been taught what quality in music really is.

Those of us old enough to have lived in that time and bought the music, equipment and took the time to set it up correctly understand what has been lost.

this was the nexty point i was going to bring to discussion.

if you dont mind me asking. how old are all of you? alpine? cableguy? Im 22, and I feel my opinion on how it should sound is a lot different than you guys. its different than my fathers as well.

i have talked to many people about this, and i have drawn a line. i feel the younger guys have a different expectation of what sq is supposed to be compared to the older guys. The younger guys have grown up in a digital world. sure we may know what a record player is. but most have never even heard one. I personally own one and like it all except for the ambient noises because they bother me. I like the stripped clarity of digital and when nothing is playing, dead silence. but at the end of the day i feel that sq is really personal preference because whenever i look up reviews and comparisions on "good" products and "bad" products, it seems the reviews are always split. they aeither get 1 star or 5 star.

@alpine, if you are making cross overs to handle 2-300 watts for a woofer, to make a good 12db/octave linkwitz, it can cost a good amount. if you make them for 4 speakers, you could buy a audison bit10 by that point which will give you the bandpass tweets and woofers crossovers. i dont see how its not less work less space and less money to not go Digital. given you know how to set them up, it is much easier. sure you may have to hook up a computer, but for my generation at least, thats a lot easier than having to rebuild cross overs over and over. you just click a button and boom i have a 24db / octave cross. if you know how to use software a good DSP is easier to tweak than a fully passive system. I cant see how a passive system would be easier considering you would have to remake the cross overs, adjust length of wire, change positive and negative, too much work. DSP = Easy , if familiar with software.

@cable guy, you can still test and see with a DSP. it makes trial and error much easier.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Archived