moemoe703 Posted February 17, 2015 Report Posted February 17, 2015 I have a box of 2 kicker 08S12L54. And a box of 2 kicker 06S12L52. I have both boxes currently wired in to my power acoustik 5500 crypt series amp. I know this can't be right. How can the amp separate sending a 2 ohm signal to one box and a 4 ohm signal to the other. I would like to have everything running at 2 ohms if possible. Can someone help me?
Rev. Wrath Posted February 17, 2015 Report Posted February 17, 2015 So you're running a pair of D2 subs wired to 2ohms and a pair of D4 subs wired to 4ohms on the same amp?
Ahmed Johnson Posted February 17, 2015 Report Posted February 17, 2015 Where are you getting your reading from? If you wire one set at 2 ohms and another set at 4, than it won't matter if they are going on the same amp, the sub's are gonna react to the way you wire them. The set of sub's that are d2s are hitting harder than the d4s right?
moemoe703 Posted February 17, 2015 Author Report Posted February 17, 2015 I hadn't gotten a reading. I was just wondering because I wasn't sure how all that worked. And actually I think the d4 box hits harder. Both boxes came pre wired from kicker. They both have the same watt rating. Rms and peak. But at the wire terminals on the boxes one says 2 ohms. And the other says 4 ohms
ditto_ Posted February 21, 2015 Report Posted February 21, 2015 I have tried to explain this to a few friend many times. The subs are in a series/parallel configuration. On the l52 box each sub has dual 2 ohm voice coils and final load is 2 ohms due to series/parallel configuration. Positive to negative makes the sub a 4 ohm sub at the unconnected termanals. Thats the series part. Then positive from one sub to positive to the other sub and negative to negative gives you 2 ohms. thats the parallel part. Same for the l54 subs except they are dual 4 ohm subs and the final load is 4 ohms. In my opinion I wouldn't mix these subs together on one amp. You need four 2ohm dual voice coil subs to make 1ohm or two 4ohm dual voice coil subs to make1ohm. If you just hook those boxes up to a mono channel you will get like 1.67 ohm but its not a good idea at all.
bkolfo4 Posted February 21, 2015 Report Posted February 21, 2015 The amp just sees the final load, it doesn't see a 2 ohm load and a 4 ohm load. So you have 2 ohms in parallel with 4 ohms. Amp sees a 1.33 ohm load. 2 ohm load is getting double power of the 4 ohm load. Edit - I assumed the final load of the d4 box is 4 ohms. Maybe it is wired at 1 ohm? If so, you have 1 ohm on parallel with 2 ohms. The D4 box would get double power in this case. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Joe X Posted February 21, 2015 Report Posted February 21, 2015 Not possible, you need two amps or switch one box to match the other (or at least the subs in it) for all subs to see the same power, rather tight stock boxes either way, if you don't intend to put some good effort and money into your setup just run them like that, the difference in output should not be too great, I would sell all that stuff and redo things correctly.
moemoe703 Posted February 21, 2015 Author Report Posted February 21, 2015 The D2 box is wired at 2ohms and the D4 box is wired at 4ohms. All of this stuff was pretty much given to me. Figured I'd give it a run. What should I replace this stuff with?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.