Sonic Electronix

Help Decide.. Subs And Amp Options For Wall

first off I want to say I've been on this site daily for the past few months and finally made a username so this is my first post so sorry if this should have gone into a different section. also I'm somewhat new to the quality audio set-up thing but I've been doing my homework (or at least trying) so forgive me if I sound dumb....

The car is a 1995 VW GTI which will be walled off with room left in the trunk for batteries, amps, etc. I have my mind set on what I'm going to be doing for everything except the sub and amp(s) for them. keep in mind I'm kind of on a budget seeing as how I go to school, make minimum wage, and only work like 25-30hrs/week. my goal is to hit at least 140db but would be really happy if I could get to a 145. I will most likely pay someone to design the box/wall and have my father build it for me since he builds houses for a living

subs I want to go with are 2 mtx 9500's, 2 RF T2's, or 2 FI BL's (site wont allow me to see specs on BTL). size I'm also undecided with because I want something that will sound great playing music loud but also reach the goals I set when needed but I dont want to get anything bigger then 15's

amps I've been looking on ebay at the RF 20001 but a friend of mine is a dealer for Powerbass and can get me their XA-4000D for the same price as the RF amp on ebay. are the Powerbass amps any good?? ( http://www.powerbassusa.com/products/ampli...xa_class_d.html )

basically what I'm asking if what subs do you think will be best and what size? also which amps do you suggest? I'm open to suggestions on the amps but if you have a suggestion other then the ones I posted, please provide a link with specs and price.

thanks alot for the help

Edited by doug118

Out of the subs you mentioned I have the most experience with the BLs, and from the different setups I've heard they're also my favorite. The BTLs might do a little better in the long run with the power you want to give them, but if you set everything up good and make sure you're not clipping you should have no problems. If it was me I would get the 18s because the price difference isn't that great for the performance difference, but 15s would be great if you don't want to sacrifice space.

There are plenty of sub options, just make sure you spend plenty of time on your enclosure- not skimping on that can make all the difference.

The RF amps are awesome, but I completely understand being a student (my wifes college bills are racking up- thank god she's about to graduate) and on a budget. The powerbass amp seems fine from what I can see- and should give you plenty of power and to me is easier than wiring multiple amps.

I think with that equipment and a wall in such a small car you should have no problems meeting your goals with the right enclosure, and welcome to the forum.

When I was looking up specs and all on the pb amp I stumbled accross this- wish they really were that price!

http://www.maddjacks.com/product/pb-4xl-15d.aspx

tejcurrent

XS Power

T3

thanks for the reply. I have no idea how large the box would actually have to be for the 18's but I would like to try to keep the front of the wall right where the bottom of the back seat would end, where your knees be. since I'm pretty much eliminating the trunk I want to have at least some space to carry things around so the floor behind the seat seems like the best place. and for the trunk I'd want enough room to have easy access to the batteries and anything else that will be going behind the box.

as for the powerbass amps, I just dont want to try to save a few hundred dollars and end up getting an amp thats going to crap out on me in a few months. I'd rather just wait a few more weeks and get a RF amp and know that it will last me pushing out 2k+ watts. I forgot all about the powerbass subs, does anyone have experience with those or ever heard anything? I can also get those at cost but again I dont want to try to save a couple hundred and then just have to buy another sub a few months down the road

just input from 1 person?

I measured up the back today and its 58" long, 36" wide, and 38 tall. how many cubes will that give me if I used all of it?

Edited by doug118

no experience with the RF amps but the Powerbass amps, your gonna need some BIG juice flowin to power them....I imagine the RFs are probably the same way....just a side note.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

what do you consider big juice? I was planning on getting 3 or 4 batteries, the biggest altenator they make for my motor, and the proper wiring needed. will that be enough??

My Personal Opinion

I would go with 2 Mtx 9500 15's i can speak from personal ownership that my 9500 is wicked. Run 1000-1500 watts to them daily and im pretty sure you will be thoroughly happy. I am not taking anything away from Fi or RF i just dont have any experience im just giving you my .02 on subs from my personal experience but im sure what ever choice you make as long as you have enough power,right box and amps you will be happy.

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

what do you consider big juice? I was planning on getting 3 or 4 batteries, the biggest altenator they make for my motor, and the proper wiring needed. will that be enough??

thats sounds like it'll do the job.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco