I Want to Run Dual Alts

So I have a guy that might be able to make a dual bracket for my rig. It's an '03 Expedition and nobody seems to make a dual bracket for it. Anyway, I have a brand new OEM alt laying around and it's 130A as well as the DC 270XP that is currently installed. So once I get the physical/mechanical challenges out of the way and have it mounted up, how would I wire in the second alt in this situation?

The charge lead is a no brainer, but iirc the DC alt came with an adapter that I installed between the alt and the OEM harness that plugs into it. How would I wire the 2 alts to play nicely together, anyone?

There are various ways to turn on the alt. ex., relay wired into the ignition, fused toggle switch between alternator and constant 12V. My 2nd alt is switched by a toggle switch i put in the center console, i just have to remember to turn the alt off whenever the engine is not running, just to be safe.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do.

have you checked with Jimmy Zukauska on FB ? https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.zukauska?fref=ts

He might have done a bracket for your ride by now

Not sure your alts will fully match up ( I'm not a ford guy). For example my old Large GM alt has the fan in front which sets the pulley off by like 1-2mm. just enough for the belt to rub the front of the fan so it didn't work in a dual setup with my mechman 370.

have you checked with Jimmy Zukauska on FB ? https://www.facebook.com/jimmy.zukauska?fref=ts

He might have done a bracket for your ride by now

Not sure your alts will fully match up ( I'm not a ford guy). For example my old Large GM alt has the fan in front which sets the pulley off by like 1-2mm. just enough for the belt to rub the front of the fan so it didn't work in a dual setup with my mechman 370.

I haven't, but I will check that page out and see. Thanks man.

There are various ways to turn on the alt. ex., relay wired into the ignition, fused toggle switch between alternator and constant 12V. My 2nd alt is switched by a toggle switch i put in the center console, i just have to remember to turn the alt off whenever the engine is not running, just to be safe.

you can tap into the first harness or run an external regulator, personally i would have an external regulator to control the second alt

Thank you for the ideas guys, all sound pretty good. I kind of like the idea of tapping in to the OEM harness as it seems like the kind of thing I can wire up and leaves little room for something to go wrong by my own error later like forgetting to turn the alt on/off or a regulator going bad. Heard alot of people have problems with aftermarket regulators.

I THINK the alt in my vehicle is PCM controlled but my DC 270 XP charges a good bit higher than my OEM alt did, and voltage used to drop into the 11's on the norm before i swapped em out and now I stay in the 13's or 14's at full tilt. I don't think it will stay that way as I want to swap out my old RF bd1500.1 with the DC 5.0k I have, and I want more alt to support it.

Archived