Sundown Audio

amp question? how is this possible

ALPINE408

yeah that is all good and true and does make sense, but if i had a 10k and 2 subs that were 1500rms a piece, id feel like i wasnt using my 10k to its potential since its such a power house, i would want 4 more subs so i could try to lol. which is the problem with spl. we want the most use out of equipment as possible, sounds more like SQ reasoning haha. i know a guy with 12 z312s on 12 m4a's, and theyre still wired to .5... FTW i must add haha. Do they need to be...hell no, but why have it if you dont push it :slayer:

thats just my take on what most people think/do. I definitely understand your thinking and it does make sense, most people probably just arent faced with that situation very often.

i allways double or triple RMS in spl ive had 8 18's with 30k do a 158.1 then i change it up to 6 18's and 20k and did a 160.1 so adding 4 more subs because you "have the power" does not = louder a lot of times its the opposite..... overhead is not a waste to me buying a 5k amp and expecting 5k out of it in not perfect conditions is a waste to me

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

i allways double or triple RMS in spl ive had 8 18's with 30k do a 158.1 then i change it up to 6 18's and 20k and did a 160.1 so adding 4 more subs because you "have the power" does not = louder a lot of times its the opposite..... overhead is not a waste to me buying a 5k amp and expecting 5k out of it in not perfect conditions is a waste to me

but but but more cone area is always louder....

Im all about power fucking woofers.

Id rather have 4 18s on 20k than 8 18s on 20k, and yield similar if not better results on the meter.

Sure more woofers has more "wow factor" but imo what good is that wow factor if its not anywhere near as loud as it could be?

I think the "wow factor" of having less woofers and being louder is slightly greater anyways.

I know nothing about spl comps but I keep trying to tell people cone area isn't always king and I get ignored, glad to know some guys that know a whole lot more than I'd do agree.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived