Ok, help me pick: On Axis or Off Axis (fiberglass dash pods)

Colin - STAPUFT

something like this ? not your car but

FB_IMG_1426792472614_zpspg8ujgms.jpg

I think you guys have missed the most important detail of why this worked and was successful when it was competing. Now its just our shop truck lol. The mid and tweet are staggered for a passive time alignment but most importantly it is parallel with the windshield. The reflections are going to be there no matter what but this arrangement the reflections added smaller amounts of constructive interference over a wider bandwidth, with the least amount of comb filtering +2.1db from 400hz to 4.5k versus when we have them firing directly in the glass which resulted in a +13db spike from 1.6k to 4.5k with major comb filtering.

Direct on axis sounds the best, has the least windshield reflection and results in the most detailed sound-stage. Also takes up the most room is the hardest to get right. So there is no free lunch.

SQhemi.......... in a non disrespectful way who are you??? shop truck you mean the grey one...i thought that was Vince's daughters? anywho ive been working on my car should see you guys at the next sq only show........... alpine says hi to all the audio experts crew

Who am I?, Alpine Alpine Alpine. I designed the dash on that truck, Francisco and Vince built that truck, and I have always been the only tuner for that truck. Initially built for his daughter but now the shop truck! But you know all that already. Not sure why you're trolling, I just advised on the topic at hand with the knowledge needed to help bring some additional SQ insight to the SPL world.

Not trolling I know I met you just trying to figure out who of the shop guys you were .... Can't tell from the screen name and last time I saw the truck it was still Vince daughters I belive.. I have had the pleasure of judging that truck like all your guys cars beautiful sound and amazing fiberglass work again hope to see you soon and keep up the crazy builds you guys pull off

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Scott tell me if I am off-base, I'll remove the post.

Scott W from Team Hybrid Audio.

http://teamhybrids.org/north-america/

Affirmative... And here to help. Regardless of brands or SPL/SQ. My passion for musical excellence in the automotive environment seems to never end. I manage a shop in Vacaville, Ca. called Audio Xperts, I own Audio Intensity, which is the west coast/online distribution for Hybrid Audio and dealer for Arc Audio & DC Audio and am national team captain for the Hybrid Audio Competition Team. So, I am all over the place and spend alot of time driving to competitions and events. Never a dull moment in my life.

My apologies to Alpine as I thought he would recognize the screen-name as it is the license plate of my Charger that he has officially judged it a couple years back LOL. I'll be in the lanes in Sac this weekend so we'll catch up Alpine if you are there.

-Scott

'07 SRT8 Charger - Team Hybrid Audio Technologies / Team ARC Audio

'10,'11,'12 Meca California State Champion Modex

'13,'14,'15 Meca California State Champion Extreme

''15 Meca World Champion Extreme Class

'13,'15 Iasca National Champion Pro Class & Ultimate Class

'12,'14 Iasca National Runner Up Pro Class

Yup I was finishing an install on my car with kimo and kimo told me who you were lol I was ohhhhhh now it makes sense....... Gonna miss sac show to much family stuff this weekend.next one..would love to have listen to my car I finally did a full SQ build......

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

You got some serious wrapping skills nice!!

Thanks brother.

They both sucked in different ways. I did my very best to make them all one piece of fabric, but my brain snapped a bit on the driver's side pod (top one in the pic). It is one large piece with a single piece patched in on the vertical bit that runs back towards the baffle where the mids are.

The trick (for me at least) is to do all I can to make the seams go where you won't see them. I think I got all but one hidden. - I don't like the way the fabric comes up to the horns though- I mean to make some speaker grill fabric clad grills for them that cover the edges. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Looks awesome brother ... cant wait to hear it !!!

Motor is finally going back into White Lighting so maybe I can get back on track with the audio stuff.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

^ excellent Randall.

I'm about to update my build log with this thread and with some closer to finish pictures.

I have to build, wrap, and wire the single 4" for the rear fill.

I have to tidy up the amp rack area.

I have to re-do the EQ's (right now, I'm going to stack them- running 4. One for each the L&R tweeter and one for each group of L&R mid).

Theeen- TUNE. :D

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Archived