Second Skin Audio

JL Audio 1000/1 v1 amp melting wires problem

Flip_one

Hey everyone I have a JL Audio 1000/1v1 amp and it keeps melting the outside rubber of the ground wire right on the amp's terminal. When I turn the volume up high and play a song with deep bass the wire gets really hot and starts to smells like burnt rubber, then after a few times somehow the wire burns so much that it doesn't let the current go through so the amp shuts off. I have all 0ga wiring and i have the big 3 under the hood, also have a yellow top optima battery under the hood and an extra stinger battery next to my amps. My voltage is a little over 14v. This is the 3rd time that I've changed the wire because it melted it. Everytime I put a new wire in it will work all normal but it only lastes about 2 months before it gets all burned again. Does anyone know what might be causing it?? I took it to a car audio shop about a month ago and they said that I had a couple screws loose and they put a new ground wire in but now it's doing it again.

First off, unhook that shit before you start a fire; or start carying a fire extinguisher in your car. There will be people on here that will most definitely try and help you with your problem but for now I don't really wanna see your car go up in flames.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

yup, melting wires and or fuse holders is almost always a bad connection.

and also the 1000/1 is 4awg wire is all it accepts, tho it maybe oversized.

Sure you could trim 1/0 to fit, and using 1/0 or 1/0 with reducers is not the problem, unless the trim job is horrible and its grounding out with the power wire at the amp terminal block due to loose strands touching each other.

I would go and check all your connections, and make sure your crimps or solder job on all the ring terminals are up to par.

Melting hot wire is from more current going threw the wire then the wire can handle..... Being you said you have a battery next to the amps a small run of 4 gauge can handle a lot of current.... So you have a lot of excess current from something the number 1 cause of more current is bad connections.... Or your amp has some serious problems and I don't know why it would still be playing

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Archived