Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

15 12s 10s 8s ?


Recommended Posts

Posted

12s 10s 8s or 15?

Right now i have 2 an xfl runninv off ab vfl 175.1. What would be louder, low, and sound awesome with only 4.0 4-5 cubes to work with? I will need the subs to wire down to 1 ohm.

Right now I have ab xfl they sound great and get hell loud but obv if im upgrading power i want louder subs. My box is tuned to around 33hz

I was thinking maybe 4 8s or 4 10s but the space on 10s will be limited and i have honestly only ever heard a 12" most

Posted

Only you are going to be able to answer that question with your own experience. We don't know what kind of vehicle you have, what you have done to prepare it acoustically... how you plan on positioning the box and what kind of enclosure you plan on running.

Personally, with a 15" and 4-4.5cu i'd run a single 15" sub that can handle 2000w+ since your amp is capable... that's assuming you have the electrical set-up to properly push that amplifier and sustain operating voltages.

Posted

More plays into a sub being loud and low than cone area and how many watts it claims to handle.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Posted

depends on your listening preference as well. smaller subs have a tighter sound, better for trap/dubstep with quick bass hits, larger subs are better suited for things like decaf music with long, drawn out and really low bass lines. With that said, you can make 8s do some crazy lows, and you can make 18s do some wicked notes as well, all about the power your feeding and MOST importantly... enclosure, Enclosure, ENCLOSURE, EnClOsUrE! get it yet? The enclosure you build has not just a little bit to do with what sound your going to get, but almost everything to do with your final outcome.

NOW, the easiest way to get your desired outcome, if it is in fact the tuning you are at now (33hz) I agree with above, 1 (GOOD QUALITY) 15, DC XL15 or something similar on that amp should treat you pretty darn good. or go with 2 12s on around the same power. 2 X12s or ZV4 12s on that power would get straight nasty!

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Posted

double post.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Posted

OP don't fall for the certain sizes have anything to do with what music you listen too. That isn't how it works. 8s can play low just fine and 18s can play dubstep just fine, it's mostly about the enclosure.

 

F150:

Stock :(

 

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

 

Posted

right now my 2 American Bass xfl are in a 4.0 total box, but I don't know how any inches sq port is good for each sub etc. I put it all into re calculator when I made box but only did it to tune to 33hz. I guess I don't wanna spend a lot on a 15" subwoofer and have it not be nearly as loud. Wouldn't 2 10's get a lot louder then 1 15 in a 4.0 cu box?

Posted

The RE audio box calculator is very simplistic and isn't known for giving accurate results. I'd suggest using something else in the future.

One 15" has more come area than two 10" subs. There are a lot of factors that determine how loud you will get, but all else being equal more cone area is more efficient.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

so if I measure my box and all the port length and everything it should give me the exact hz my box is right now correct? I am pretty sure I am tuned to 33-34hz. I might have someone here design me a box for my 2 12's first before I go with 1 15. Wood is cheaper for now. I am gonna measure max dimensions again and see whats the most I can fit.

Posted

right now my 2 American Bass xfl are in a 4.0 total box, but I don't know how any inches sq port is good for each sub etc. I put it all into re calculator when I made box but only did it to tune to 33hz. I guess I don't wanna spend a lot on a 15" subwoofer and have it not be nearly as loud. Wouldn't 2 10's get a lot louder then 1 15 in a 4.0 cu box?

The two 10" subs would play very peaky in that kind of airspace, that would not be too awesome sounding IMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8117 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...