Cj Kumz Posted April 27, 2015 Report Posted April 27, 2015 Hey guys, need help on port length. When a port is flared on one side (slot port) do we ignore the flare or use the same concept for full flared port to calculate the effective port length. This is the box I'm working on: Thanks Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
STEvil Posted April 28, 2015 Report Posted April 28, 2015 I calculate to the beginning of the flare then just use the flare as "gravy" MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..." Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through. Hammerdown... 1% no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 28, 2015 Report Posted April 28, 2015 With flares on one side like that I subtract 1/4 the radius of the flare from the measured length of the port to get the effective length. So if your flare has a 3" radius, subtract 3/4" to get effective length. I can't promise its a 100% accurate, but its better than doing nothing. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Cj Kumz Posted April 28, 2015 Author Report Posted April 28, 2015 This port has a radius of 6" so meaning 1.5" gets subtracted. Thanks for that info. Built a box last week and ignored the port length issue though it had a small radius so no damage done Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Joe X Posted April 29, 2015 Report Posted April 29, 2015 If you have the box built you can measure the actual tuning and compare with any estimates.
Cj Kumz Posted April 30, 2015 Author Report Posted April 30, 2015 Thanks for the great idea Joe. Will do that over the weekend. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Robert8252 Posted April 30, 2015 Report Posted April 30, 2015 As long as you measure within an inch or so it shouldn't make an audible difference with a single sub setup for daily beating. 2013 F150 Crew Cab Old Build Log Feedback 2013 F150 Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff
Cj Kumz Posted April 30, 2015 Author Report Posted April 30, 2015 The port radius is 6". So it's quite large. But I'll be testing the box I made earlier so I should know soon Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Joe X Posted April 30, 2015 Report Posted April 30, 2015 You could, with some cardboard turn the kerfed port into a standard one and measure both ways, that way the net effect of the kerf on tuning would be shown.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.