crazyman03 Posted April 28, 2015 Report Posted April 28, 2015 Long time gawker, but haven't really posted. I'm a n00b so please go easy on me.. I have an idea of the concept.. i mostly love listening to music ;-) I'm trying to come up with a decent sub box for my Truck. I have a '01 S10 Single cab. Initially I had a JL 10w8 down firing with one of those (lack of a better way of describing it)ob-long triangle boxes. Worked great for what I had. Now I picked up a 10" Infinity Reference (1032w). a buddy gave me a couple 10" "down firing" boxes, I mounted it into one and have it centered behind the seat. Insides measure 18x11x5 for about a .57cu volume for the inside. Not what the speaker needs obviously but I'm working with what i got, it doesnt fit in the triangle box. sound out of the enclosure is "alright" obviously for that driver it needs a bigger box. Specs ask for .75' cu volume Sealed, and 1.75' cu Ported (give or take, i'm going off what i remember). So I'm looking into making one of my own. My question is there a "wrong way" of having a port? or rather what direction you fire? I only have behind the seats to work with and would prefer the woofer not be remotely in contact with anything I was thinking about having the box rear fire with about a 2" gap to the wall. the gap would open up on both the driver side and passenger side. closed on the top and (obviously) the bottom. for a sealed box. (walling up the inside to maintain the cu ft it needs) for a ported box i was thinking a similar but either the port going strait up into the cab, directly toward the back (into the gap) or out the side. I only have so much MDF handy so I dont really have much for trial and error. -Justin edit: the MDF i have is 1/4" (i think) that i was going to double up on before cutting. it was free so i was working with what i got.
bigmizzle99 Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 So to the question of whether there is a wrong way....No, there is not a wrong. Different port directions might sound better....only experimentation would reveal which. Camaro SS Build Altima build 2.0 Altima build 1.0
aculous Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 S10s are tight... Inverted would get you a little more cubes and a good ported design that is tuned a little lower for flatter response would be good for music I would think. I would mess around with winISD or Torres calculator (google sketchup helps sometimes too, I like pen and paper though its faster for me). Finding the port dimensions is usually the toughest (for me) and then you can play with the dimensions in Torres. May want to toy with the idea of a center console enclosure.
Joe X Posted May 5, 2015 Report Posted May 5, 2015 A slanted baffle enclosure with a 4" flaed round port firing sideways (passenger side) should work well, post your max dims for a box to see if it can be done.
crazyman03 Posted May 13, 2015 Author Report Posted May 13, 2015 Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back to this. I've been super busy to get a tape measure out and look. Total, I have about 51Lx12Hx8d. I was tempted to do a center console but have a bench seat and not a whole lot of room in front of it.. (http://justinfrieze.com/site/pictures/s10/1661845_10153973884685727_293488554_n.jpg) I started kicking around some ideas on sketchup.. I'm sure Im just being paranoid about size and whatnot hence the prompt for the post. I want the most "bang for my buck" for how to mount the sub. I found that even with my old sub (JL 10") it hit harder when it was down firing than it did rear firing in the same area of the cab. Here's my sketchup. Crude, i know. dimensions are guesstimates. I drew it so i had something to look at and see what it could be like. obviously the enclosed "box" wont be 51" wide but you'll get the idea. I want the facade of the box to take the entire back side so i can mount an amp and also hide a battery behind the wall. -Justin speaker specs: http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Boxes%20and%20Parameters/Ref1032w%20Tech%20Sheet.pdf
crazyman03 Posted May 13, 2015 Author Report Posted May 13, 2015 I ment to add. on the bottom design. I was thinking of having two ports. one on both sides (passenger and driver side), bottom about 4.5" circle? the Spec page says port needs to be 9"x3". does having a circle make that big of a differance? since I want 2 ports, does my math add up being the total size in half? If i did a circle, or a square cutout. does a baffle make that big of a differance in sound since it is so far away? I realize its 21 questions but I've poked around and havent really found the answers i was looking for. -Justin
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.