Second Skin Audio

Whats the truth on subwoofers?

Shiv

Ferrari's and focal huh?

Prove it.

If you had done such work you'd know the difference.

It's your money go buy Walmart subs if you want.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

It is a serious question and I am looking for a serious answer/discussion.

I have no doubt that one is a better product but really how much better?

Bells wistles and bragging rights... and what else?

I am not new to car audio. I have worked as an installer for years and have worked on civics to ferraris, dual to focal.

I know the difference between a crap brand and a high quality brand.

then you are asking a rhetorical question.

I would have answered seriously until you had to pull out the "civics to ferraris, dual to focal" name drop. If you actually knew the products you were installing, this would be a rhetorical question.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

You know what... I will answer you, even though I think you are full of shit...

Cost of a product is in a few things, material, build cost (labor), and R&D, mainly.

1. There are different grades of ferrite, even though most use the same, some use neo (very expensive)

2. If you have a mass production basket or a custom tooled basket (tooling is very expensive)

3. Material and how the cone is made, whether carbon fiber, pressed paper pulp, etc.

4. Material and type of suspension, whether it is 1 spider or 5 spiders, spaced spiders or not, spider OD as well

5. Coil type, whether copper or aluminum, flatwound or roundwire, ceramic coated, former cooling, etc.

6. Build Quality and QC, how well a company/builder builds the product, from glue joints, to cleanliness, to the special way they do things that might give an edge for thermal handling or durability

7. Customer Service, self explanatory....

8. Size of the product, aka more material to use.

9. Engineering so to speak, company A and company B build subs (say each company's woofer is 150 bucks to build), Company A builds with the same amount of material (weight), same coil size, spiders, etc, but say uses slightly different motor venting than company B to increase cooling over company B.

Company A's woofer is 350 bucks, company B's is 300. (sort of falls back on #6 and R&D in the real world)

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

unnamed2_zpse3e7alyt.jpg

Take a look at those crossovers. They don't look the same do they? Why not? (hit it's a 3 way system)

unnamed_zpsqtrfgoee.jpg

Yellow focal speakers? Sh!t that may cost more than your entire system and run at a total of 1000 wrms.

212be8bf9732d72576b235edcb32f099_192_zps

there you go.

Would you like to see picks of my Diamond TDX's or my PG Cyclone? How about my audison amps that I'm running?

So A) Quit hiding behind your brand and start talking some scientific.

Stop posting on this thread until you want to talk some numbers instead of brands.

You sound ignorant.

Who dropped brand names besides you?

You are the only one here who sounds ignorant.

This thread is nothing but a troll.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You know what... I will answer you, even though I think you are full of shit...

Cost of a product is in a few things, material, build cost (labor), and R&D, mainly.

1. There are different grades of ferrite, even though most use the same, some use neo (very expensive)

2. If you have a mass production basket or a custom tooled basket (tooling is very expensive)

3. Material and how the cone is made, whether carbon fiber, pressed paper pulp, etc.

4. Material and type of suspension, whether it is 1 spider or 5 spiders, spaced spiders or not, spider OD as well

5. Coil type, whether copper or aluminum, flatwound or roundwire, ceramic coated, former cooling, etc.

6. Build Quality and QC, how well a company/builder builds the product, from glue joints, to cleanliness, to the special way they do things that might give an edge for thermal handling or durability

7. Customer Service, self explanatory....

8. Size of the product, aka more material to use.

9. Engineering so to speak, company A and company B build subs (say each company's woofer is 150 bucks to build), Company A builds with the same amount of material (weight), same coil size, spiders, etc, but say uses slightly different motor venting than company B to increase cooling over company B.

Company A's woofer is 350 bucks, company B's is 300. (sort of falls back on #6 and R&D in the real world)

1) Are we ready to beak down the scientifics of the magnetic field?

2) Yes and no. Custom tooling has its own flaws but how much of this is actually imprtant on the final product?

3) Pro audio drivers have been using paper for decades

4) yep

5) yep

6) if you want to excede the specifications, sure

7) they all suck sooner or later. Yeah Fu(k you re audio

8) see 7

9) technology really hasnt changed in the past 100 years.

We are really looking into build quaility. Which is important, don't get me wrong. The points you list indicate that you are being built a handmade, overbuilt custom driver. Thats great.

Now how do this sq/spl numbers/ reliability really compare?

I'm not talking about some lanzar/pyle (insert whatever sh!tty brand is still around)

I'm talking Boston/kicker/polk/alpine/soundstream (are they even any good anymore or did they get maxxsoniced?) midrange market.

Nobody's mad and I can post pictures of ferraris and focal too doesn't mean I did shit with them

Archived